Sr. Principal Engineer Mechani
- Plymouth, MN
Northrop Grumman is seeking a Sr. Principal Mechanical Design Engineer for our location in Plymouth, MN.
• Perform analysis, design, or test of one or more moderately complex or portions of complex materials, structural components, and functional systems of company products.
• Generally work from preliminary studies developed by higher graded engineers. Analyze requirements for materials, structural component, or functional systems.
• Select applicable analytical data from previous products, determine the technical principles involved, mathematically define the problem and compute the engineering characteristics consistent with the specifications, design needs and requirements of other portions of the product.
• Release results as design data after review by higher graded engineer. Develop original ideas and elaborate on preliminary design concepts.
• Evaluate completed design with supervisor and other technical groups and make modification necessary to achieve the most ideal design.
• Develop and coordinate the conduct of test programs requires to evaluate design work.
• Performs analysis, design, or test of one or more moderately complex or portions of complex materials, structural components, and functional systems.
• With limited supervision, applies theoretical knowledge and engineering techniques to the solution of more complex components, structures, and sub-assemblies.
• Responds in a timely manner to all requests and explores all avenues within authority and makes appropriate referrals to other sources.
• Makes thoughtful and valuable suggestions and recommendations for improving own work and/or group's work.
• Makes thoughtful and valuable suggestions and recommendations for improving own work and/or group's work. Perform design, development, analysis, and/or test activities to support assigned projects.
• Establish requirements for materials, structural components, and functional systems.
• Release results as design data after review from other engineers.
• Determine engineering tasks required for project planning and execution.
• Develop original ideas on preliminary design concepts with other technical groups and make modifications necessary to achieve the most ideal design.
• Document results of analysis, test, and design activities.
• BS in Mechanical Engineering required
• 9 years of direct Mechanical Engineering Experience, 7 years of experience with a Master's Degree or 4 years with a PHD in Engineering.
• Strong analytical skills and the ability organize/prioritize job assignments and tasks.
• Knowledge of related disciplines.
• Working knowledge of mechanical computer aided design (CAD) software, preferably CREO (PTC). Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, Power Point, Project).
• Knowledge of ANSI Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
• Working knowledge of manufacturing processes to include, but not limited to, machining, gauging, welding, and injection molding.
• Material selection experience of both metals and plastics.
• Experience developing electronics packaging solutions for challenging environmental condition: shock, temperature, electromagnetic and others.
• Electromechanical mechanism or electro-explosive device design and analysis experience.
• Possess an understanding of finite element analysis techniques and tools.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top