Sr. Principal Electrical Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work -- and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Serve as a professional authority in an engineering discipline or specialty area. Collaborate in preliminary and advanced design studies and prepare portions of engineering proposals. Conceive and develop solutions to design and test problems/failures that program(s) experience. Aid in establishing system's philosophy and design objectives. Write portions of complex specifications and engineering reports as a result of advance studies, special engineering investigations, and design criteria for general applications. May lead subsystem design team within project to include technical, cost and schedule responsibility.
May also oversee system supplier design, analysis, manufacture, and test.
- Job Knowledge/Technical Skills - Master of company electrical engineering technical standards. Provides input/Maintains these to include all lessons learned. Extensive technical expertise and expert knowledge of other related disciplines.
Determines direction of and assignments for review as well as leads, prepares and presents electrical engineering materials during Requirements and Design Reviews and other formal program reviews.
- Problem Solving/Innovation - Uses independent advanced knowledge and ideas to guide the development and implementation of technical solutions to highly complex problems for large projects. Applies advanced engineering principles to develop new designs for large or complex projects.
- Liaison - Consistently takes the lead in involving other employees and in promoting a spirit of mutual support. Encourages others' participation and success; helps keep team on track.
Anticipates internal and external customer needs and finds innovative ways to provide for those needs.
Disciplined with escalation when required
Ability to effectively delineate appropriate technical position and willingness to stand alone in defending it while at same time evaluating opposing views for applicability.
- Requirements Derivation/ Test Development - Determine engineering tasks required for project planning and execution. Analyze project requirements and develop detailed
planning, conceptual designs, and risk analysis.
Leads and directs the testing and/or evaluation/validation of complete subsystem analytical models or actual subsystem implementation. Knows how to troubleshoot system behavior.
- Risk and Uncertainty Quantification - Perform risk analysis on design, analyses, and planned activities. Apply principles of uncertainty quantification to owned program, product, and planned activity.
- Analysis and Design - Demonstrates and applies technical expertise in several aspects of electrical engineering. Serves as a subject matter expert in a specialty area, or acts as a program team lead.
Analyze and interpret trade study results and provide recommendations for component or system level designs.
Leads the creation of and manages changes to electrical component or system designs or analytical models under self direction using established guidelines.
- Peer Review/Oversight - Provides formal peer review of complex engineering subsystem designs or analyses.
- Business Development -Prepares subsystem technical proposal.
- Involvement in national or international engineering association.
Education and Experience
Must possess an active Top Secret security clearance with a valid background investigation
Requires BS in Engineering &9 years or Masters in Engineering & 7 years or PhD in Engineering &4 years.
Experience should include DSP filtering, signal demodulation/detection, FEC decoding, etc. Must perform all or most of the following duties:
- Design FIR, IIR, and frequency domain matched filters
- Design FM, PM, AM, QAM, etc. modulators and demodulators including carrier recovery, where applicable.
- Design forward error correction encoders/decoders of varying types including Viterbi, Reed Solomon, and Turbo codes.
- Design signal acquisition algorithms for TDMA, FDMA and CDMA schemes
- Develop and implement Least Mean Square (LMS) and Recursive Least Squares (RLS) adaptive filter algorithms for RF signal enhancement.
- MATLAB/Simulink experience modeling complex data architectures.
- Compile and optimize DSP processor assembler code.
- Test and measure compliance of embedded DSP algorithms using laboratory equipment.
Back to top