Sr. Principal Commodity Engineer - Mechanisms
- Redondo Beach, CA
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Strategic Space Systems has an opening for a Sr Principal Commodity Engineer - Mechanisms to join our Commodity Engineering team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in Redondo Beach, CA.
The Commodity Engineering Team (CET) is responsible for supply base technical management related to the acquisition of Space mechanism and mechanical hardware needs. This highly visible position requires a motivated self-starter with a Space mechanism and manufacturing background with excellent interpersonal skills to respond to program customer needs and concerns. The candidate will require in depth knowledge of at least one of the following Space commodities: Motor, Bearings, Resolvers, Harmonic Drives or Mechanical assemblies and associated materials and processes. Candidate will be expected to work effectively with Programs, Mechanism Engineering and Materials & Processes (M&P) organizations to help resolve requirement and technical supplier challenges, as well as support successful execution with Global Supply Chain and Supplier Quality organizations.
Responsibilities include providing producibility reviews, technical evaluations of supplier proposals and supporting internal processes associated with program part selection, qualification and approval. CET is also responsible for supplier capability approvals, capacity assessment, management of work transfers and stand up of suppliers, as well as performance monitoring. Support communication and alignment of suppliers with programs technology developments. Candidate is expected to have the ability to work both independently and within a team demonstrating the ability to multi-task and communicate effectively with varying levels of program customers and functional organization leadership.
Travel required up to 25%.
- Bachelor's Degree in a STEM (Science, Technical, Engineering, or Mathematical) field with 9 years of experience in an Engineering or Manufacturing role (13 years of experience in lieu of a degree); OR 7 years with a Masters Degree in STEM; OR 4 years with a PhD.
- Demonstrated experience to formulate and execute technical solutions to complex part, assembly, and process engineering challenges
- Demonstrated experience with interpretation of engineering specifications, schematics and drawings into manufacturing processes
- Demonstrated experience using SAP, Windows software packages, and other electronic databases
- Ability to obtain and maintain a SCI clearance
- Mechanism/Component/Commodity Engineering experience
- Experience with fabrication techniques for Space Motors, Bearings, Resolvers, Harmonic Drives or Mechanical assemblies and associated materials and processes
- Project Management experience
- Knowledge of FAR & DFAR requirements
- Knowledge of ISO 9001/AS9100 requirements
- Active DoD Secret, Top Secret or SCI clearance
Back to top