Sr. Principal Commodity Engineer - Electronics
- Redondo Beach, CA
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
Northrop Grumman Strategic Space Systems has an opening for a Senior Principal Commodity Engineer - Electronics to join our Commodity Engineering Team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in Redondo Beach, CA.
The Commodity Engineering Team (CET) is responsible for supply base management related to the acquisition of Space Electronic, Electrical and Electromechanical (EEE) hardware. This high visibility position requires a motivated, self-starter with an engineering and component background with excellent interpersonal skills to respond to program customer product needs and concerns. The candidate will require extensive technical understanding of one or more of the following areas: Hi-Rel EEE components, Hybrids, Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs), Application-Specific Integrated Circuit (ASICs), Printed Wire Boards (PWB) and Printed Circuit Cards (PCBs) fabrication processes, connectors, RF Cable harnesses and associated fabrication processes, electronic subsystem assembly integration & test and failure analysis techniques. Candidate will be expected to work effectively with Programs, Materials & Processes (M&P) and other Engineering organizations to resolve supplier technical topics in support of Global Supply Chain.
Responsibilities include performing producibility reviews, technical evaluations of supplier proposals and leading internal processes associated with program part/product selection, qualification and approval. CET is also responsible for supplier capability and capacity approvals, management of work transfers and stand up of suppliers, as well as hardware failure analysis and investigations. Candidate is expected to have the ability to work both independently and within a team demonstrating the ability to multi-task and communicate effectively with varying levels of program customers and functional organization leadership.
Travel required up to 25%.
- Bachelor's Degree in a STEM (Science, Technical, Engineering or Mathematical) field with 9 years of experience in an Engineering or Manufacturing role (13 years of experience total in lieu of a degree); OR 7 years with a Masters Degree in STEM; OR 4 years with a PhD.
- Demonstrated experience with formulating technical solutions to electronic part, assembly, and process engineering challenges
- Demonstrated experience with interpretation of engineering specifications, schematics and drawings into manufacturing processes
- Demonstrated experience using SAP, Windows software packages, and other electronic databases
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret and SCI clearance
- Electronic Component/Commodity Engineering experience
- Experience with fabrication techniques for Printed Wiring Boards, high reliability connectors, harnesses or electronic assemblies
- Project Management experience
- Knowledge of FAR & DFAR requirements
- Knowledge of ISO 9001/AS9100 requirements
- Active DoD Secret, Top Secret or SCI clearance
Back to top