Sr Principal Behavioral Research Scientist
- Monterey, CA
Discover careers that change the world and further advancements in defense, technology, and engineering today at Northrop Grumman. Use your experience to grow your career and support our global customers with the technology,
systems, and solutions they need to enable their missions on the front lines and secure our world every day. With Northrop Grumman, you'll discover a culture built on diversity, respect, and above all teamwork. Together with our group
of experts across the technical spectrum, you'll discover opportunities to make a difference in our world and start solving some of the world's most critical problems in the most innovative ways.
The Northrop Grumman Defense Systems sector is seeking an experienced Behavioral Research Scientist to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals for its ongoing work with the Department of Defense to provide research and innovation to the Military Services. This research pertains to multiple areas, but may include Service member wellness, suitability for military service, evaluation of interventions, and implementation and evaluation of automated solutions to staffing, manning, and other human resource data systems.
This position is located in Seaside, CA and may allow some part-time teleworking/working remotely.
Role & Responsibilities:
Northrop Grumman has ongoing work with the Department of Defense to provide research and innovation to the Military Services. This research pertains to multiple areas, but may include Service member wellness, suitability for Military Service, evaluation of interventions, and implementation and evaluation of automated solutions to staffing, manning, and other human resource data systems. The individual hired for this research position will be required to do the following:
- Conduct research using behavioral science principles, methodologies, and technologies in an applied governmental setting
- Develop research designs, perform literature reviews, collect field data through interviews and focus groups, analyze existing databases, and conduct statistical or descriptive analyses
- Describe results of research through peer-reviewed publications, briefings and technical reports
- Work cooperatively with team members to ensure quality, timeliness, and accuracy of research products
- Interface with Military customers and consumers to meet their requirements, and assist in implementation of research findings and products.
- Supporting the development of research designs
- Performing literature reviews
- Collecting field data
- Conducting interviews
- Administering surveys and conducting focus groups
- Data cleaning, extraction, transformation, and loading
- Statistical and qualitative analyses
- Collection and analysis of research materials to support technical reports and briefing materials
- Coordination with virtual research teams
- Personnel Security Clearances
- Personnel Placement and Suitability
- Suicide Prevention
- Sexual Assault Prevention & Response
- Espionage and Insider Threat
- Data Science
- Master's Degree in a Behavioral Science field such as Psychology, Sociology, or Criminal Justice and eight (8) years' experience in applied research environment.
- Demonstrated strong quantitative analysis or advanced statistical analysis skills required.
- Experience working in applied, Government research settings.
- Demonstrated expertise in the following: writing skills, written and oral communication, organization and experience in providing project briefings and presentations to Government representatives.
- Working knowledge of and experience conducting analysis using SPSS and MS Office.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and commitment to quality in scientific work.
- Ability to think & work independently as well as being able to collaborate & work within a team setting with scientists, technical writers, information technology specialists, policymakers, and Government stakeholders.
- U.S. Citizenship and the ability to obtain and hold a Secret security clearance.
- PhD in Behavioral Science field
- Experience working in personnel security
- Degree in Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Personnel Psychology, or Organizational Development.
- Experience working with Military Human Resources or Research programs.
- Experience with Government technical reports, research reports, or other written research results as primary author.
- Experience with data science/"big data" capabilities, techniques, and approaches such as ETL, R, and Random Forest.
- Experience with SAS for data analytics.
- Current, Active U.S. Government Security Clearance (issued within past 5 years)
Back to top