Sr. Principal Airworthiness Systems Engineer
- San Diego, CA
At the heart of Defining Possible is our commitment to missions. In rapidly changing global security environments, Northrop Grumman brings informed insights and software-secure technology to enable strategic planning. We're looking for innovators who can help us keep building on our wide portfolio of secure, affordable, integrated, and multi-domain systems and technologies that fuel those missions. By joining in our shared mission, we'll support yours of expanding your personal network and developing skills, whether you are new to the field or an industry thought-leader. At Northrop Grumman, you'll have the resources, support, and team to do some of the best work of your career.
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems is a trusted provider of mission-enabling solutions for global security. Our Engineering and Sciences (E&S) organization pushes the boundaries of innovation, redefines engineering capabilities, and drives advances in various sciences. Our team is chartered with providing the skills, innovative technologies to develop, design, produce and sustain optimized product lines across the sector while providing a decisive advantage to the warfighter. Come be a part of our mission!
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a Senior Principal Airworthiness Engineer to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. The Staff Airworthiness Engineer will be responsible to support the Battlefield Airborne Communications Node (BACN) program in airworthiness certification process. This position will be located in San Diego, CA.
What You'll get to Do:
- Performs technical airworthiness consulting, planning and verification support including development and negotiation of airworthiness plans, basis of certifications, means of compliance, and certification activities for complex total systems with engineering teams as well as customer counterparts.
- Review and coordination with other airworthiness engineers as well as internal engineering disciplines performed at all levels of total system to include: design, fabrication, test, installation, operation, maintenance and disposal.
- Performs functional and process analyses, requirements allocation and definition studies to translate customer requirements into criteria and requirements. Ensures the logical and systematic realization of customer airworthiness requirements into system solutions to meet program objectives (e.g. Flight releases, Type certification, continued airworthiness, and operation or airspace integration)
- Bachelor's Degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) discipline from an accredited university and 9 years of combination of airworthiness engineering OR 9 years combined experience in airworthiness engineering and design engineering OR Master's Degree in a STEM discipline and 7 years of combined airworthiness/design engineering experience OR PhD and 4 years of experience.
- Demonstrated work experience in manned and/or unmanned aircraft systems with technical airworthiness planning and verification support including development and negotiation of airworthiness plans, basis of certifications, means of compliance, and certification activities. Familiarity and application of MIL-HDBK-516C, MIL-STD 882E.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, leadership skills, and the ability to interface with all levels of employees and management
- A current active in-scope U.S. Government DoD Secret security clearance is required to start with the ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret clearance and Special Program Access (SAP).
- Master's Degree in a STEM discipline from an accredited university.
- Experience with DoD, Military and Civil Airworthiness experience.
- Military aircraft development or modification experience
- Ability to initiate Airworthiness Certification process improvement initiatives
- Design Engineering experience in one or more of the following areas: Air Vehicle Subsystems, Avionics, Mission Payload
- Integration, System Safety
- Experience with one or more of the following: MIL-STDs-1797, 810, 1530, 3013, 704, 1796
- USAF Airworthiness Policy Directives, Instructions, and Airworthiness Bulletins (AWB)
- System Safety Risk Assessments (SSRA), program risks and hazard analyses
- A current U.S. Government DoD Top Secret/SCI level security clearance, to include a Single Scope Background Investigation, a periodic reinvestigation, or an original adjudication date completed within the last 6 years
- Civil (FAA, TC, EASA) or DoD (USAF, USN, US Army) Aviation certification experience
Northrop Grumman provides a comprehensive benefits package and a work environment that encourages your growth and supports the mutual success of our people and our company. Northrop Grumman benefits give you the flexibility and control to choose the benefits that make the most sense for you and your family. Your benefits will include the following:
Paid Time Off
Training and Development
9/80 Schedule at Many Sites
Additional Northrop Grumman Information:
Northrop Grumman has approximately 90,000 employees in all 50 states and in more than 27 countries, we strive to attract and retain the best employees by providing an inclusive work environment wherein employees are receptive to diverse ideas, perspectives and talents to help solve our toughest customer challenges: to develop and maintain some of the most technically sophisticated products, programs and services in the world.
Our Values. The women and men of Northrop Grumman Corporation are guided by Our Values. They describe our company as we want it to be. We want our decisions and actions to demonstrate these Values. We believe that putting Our Values into practice creates long-term benefits for shareholders, customers, employees, suppliers, and the communities we serve.
Our Responsibility. At Northrop Grumman, we are committed to maintaining the highest of ethical standards, embracing diversity and inclusion, protecting the environment, and striving to be an ideal corporate citizen in the community and in the world.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top