Sr. Principal Aeronautical Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems has an opening for aSr. Principal Aeronautical Engineer to join our team of highly qualified and diverse individuals. This position will be located in Redondo Beach, California.
In this role you will
- perform and lead aerodynamic design and analysis activities for hypersonic vehicles.
- perform outer mold line design, stability and control analysis, aerothermal environment prediction, wind tunnel testing, and database development.
- be comfortable using an array of analysis tools ranging from low order methods to processing and analyzing high-fidelity computational fluid dynamics simulations.
- have experience in planning and executing wind tunnel tests at a range of facilities, including support of model design and data reduction
- have experience in characterization of aerodynamic/aerothermal environments in support of trajectory analysis and thermal protection system design as well as knowledge in the following areas: boundary layer transition, shock-boundary layer interaction, high speed control systems, and reacting flows.
- Bachelors of Science degreein Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering with9 years' experience in air vehicle aerodynamic design/analysis; ORMaster's Degree in Aerospace/Aeronautical engineeringwith 7years' experience in air vehicle aerodynamic design/analysis; ORPhD in Aerospace/Aeronautical engineeringwith 4years' experience in air vehicle aerodynamic design/analysis
- Experience in processing aerodynamic/aerothermal data from analytical tools including CFD as well as wind tunnel testing
- Experience in analyses relevant to hypersonic flows including boundary layer transition, heat transfer, and reacting flows
- Experience generating aerodynamic and aerothermal databases for hypersonic analysis
- Experience working as part of a multi-disciplinary design team
- Candidate must have and be able to maintain an active U.S. Government security clearance at the Interim Secret level with a background investigation date within 10 years
- Master's or PhD Degree in Aerospace / Aeronautical Engineering
- Active DOD Secret Clearance
- Experience in wind tunnel testing at hypersonic facilities
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top