Space ISR Staff Engineer Systems
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on groundbreaking systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join efforts to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable commitment to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems is seeking a highly qualified, mission oriented Staff Systems Engineer, located in Baltimore, MD to support spacecraft design integration. This position willsupport a concept design activity that will take place over the next two years leading to a production program within Space ISR Systems Division. Candidates will have space vehicle, spacecraft, and/or payload mechanical design integration responsibilities including (but not limited to) the following:
- Concept Development - Studies for business development and proposal support
- Critical Clearance Tracking - Critical clearances between various spacecraft elements are analyzed, tracked, and verified
- Installation drawings - provide specific and detailed information, such as the mounting hardware size and length, location of harness, cable and waveguide on a routing support, electrical connector mating interfaces, etc., for all hardware integration.
- Equipment Panel
- Interface control drawings - define physical dimensions, mounting requirements and interfaces, electrical connector locations, orientation and part number identification, connector flange reference designator, method of unit identification, center of gravity location, and weight.
- Source control
- I&T Support - interpretation of installation drawings, inspection of subassembly builds (harnesses and mechanical subsystems), and discrepancy report disposition
- Layouts - consist of unit placement, harness, cable, routing supports and interconnect bracket design with consideration for thermal requirements, line loss, RF performance, Field of View (FOV), thermal FOV, and EMI/EMC.
- Conceptual layouts for business development
- Overall space vehicle configuration
- Subsystem (panel) including equipment placement, thermal components, and harness routing
- Conceptual layouts for business development
- Identify and initiate corrective action of problems, discrepancies and deficiencies to ensure requirements (technical, schedule, & cost) are met and product quality is not compromised.
- Strong leadership skills, ability to lead and mentor junior engineers and technicians.
- Strong communication and presentation skills. Ability to interface with project management/IPT, Design Engineering, customer and functional management.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering and/or technical degree in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics)discipline from an accredited university with 14 years of engineering experience; OR Masters of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering and/or technical degree in STEM discipline from an accredited university with 12 years of engineering experience OR PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering and/or technical degree in STEM discipline from an accredited university with 9 years of engineering experience
- Experience with space vehicle mechanical design and/or integration
- Active SCI or TS/SSBI clearance required to start
- Experience working proposals
- Detail-oriented and have excellent verbal and written communications skills, leadership skills, and organization skills
- Spacecraft background with experience through the entire system lifecycle from concept, design, production, integration, test, launch, to operation support.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top