Software Engineering Manager 1
- Redondo Beach, CA
At Northrop Grumman we develop cutting-edge technology that preserves freedom and advances human discovery. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We continue to innovate with developments from launching the first commercial flight to space, to discovering the early beginnings of the universe. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
The Payload and Ground Systems division of Northrop Grumman Space Systems seeks to fill a Software Engineering Manager 1 position in the Engineering function for our Space Park and El Segundo location. The role is expected to provide the technical and people leadership needed to establish and maintain a world class Software Engineering organization, supporting multiple divisions and programs across an incredibly diverse and advanced portfolio. This leader will support engineers and engineering leaders primarily located at the Space Park and El Segundo campuses in Southern CA. The role will have overall responsibility for the development, design, implementation, application, training, and product support of state-of-the-art solutions in support of NG Space Systems Sector captures, programs of record, as well as research and technology development.
The successful candidate will clearly demonstrate strong leadership skills to recruit, manage and retain employees. He/she will have a track record as an effective communicator and problem solver who is able to develop and maintain good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders. This candidate will demonstrate a commitment to ethics and integrity, and the capability to innovate while challenging traditional ways of doing business. Demonstrated abilities to build diverse and inclusive teams with high levels of engagement, including mentoring and coaching, are a must. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
This is a dual role encompassing both functional management and technical performance on a specific program.
- The Section Manager will generally be responsible for 5 - 15 technical staff members, along with their roles specific to program execution.
- Provide Functional oversight for a team of systems engineers
- Support E&S activities such as staffing and workload forecast; employee inclusion, engagement, mentoring and career development; employee training and identification and training of skills required to execute on programs.
- Participate in recruiting, sourcing, onboarding, performance management and contract maintenance for contractors working in the business area as required.
- Support Business Strategy Efforts (including proposals, gate reviews, independent review team, NAR/ICE, as necessary)
- Providing the people, processes, and tools required to meet the current and future needs of programs and technologies within the NGSP portfolio.
This video gives candidates a preview of the Manager Selection Process and is their first opportunity to learn more about the Manager Readiness Assessment and the overall process.
- 5 years of relevant experience with a Bachelor's degree; 3 years of relevant experience with a Masters' degree; 0 years of relevant experience with a PhD
- Proven demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Effective communication and presentation skills.
- High proficiency in technical problem solving.
- Active DOD Secret clearance, and ability to obtain TS/SCI clearance.
- Ability to travel 10%.
- Master's degree in a relevant technical or management specialty.
- Leadership role on program associated with the section.
- Experience with program reviews and business development activities.
- Active TS/SCI and SAP clearance.
- Current NGSP PGS employee working within the IMC or MCS OU at Space Park.
Northrop Grumman provides a comprehensive benefits package and a work environment that encourages your growth and supports the mutual success of our people and our company. Northrop Grumman benefits give you the flexibility and control to choose the benefits that make the most sense for you and your family. Your benefits will include the following:
- Health Plan
- Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Education Assistance
- Training and Development
- Flexible Work Arrangements
Additional Northrop Grumman Information:
Northrop Grumman has approximately 85,000 employees in all 50 states and in more than 25 countries, we strive to attract and retain the best employees by providing an inclusive work environment wherein employees are receptive to diverse ideas, perspectives and talents to help solve our toughest customer challenges: to develop and maintain some of the most technically sophisticated products, programs and services in the world.
Our Values. The women and men of Northrop Grumman Corporation are guided by Our Values. They describe our company as we want it to be. We want our decisions and actions to demonstrate these Values. We believe that putting Our Values into practice creates long-term benefits for shareholders, customers, employees, suppliers, and the communities we serve.
Our Responsibility. At Northrop Grumman, we are committed to maintaining the highest of ethical standards, embracing diversity and inclusion, protecting the environment, and striving to be an ideal corporate citizen in the community and in the world.
Back to top