Senior Test Engineering Mgr 2 - Secret Clearance Required
Northrop Grumman is searching for a dynamic individual to serve in a key technical leadership role supporting a Navy unmanned aerial systems program. Candidates will help manage overall test planning and approach, and development and execution of system-wide test deliverables and test cases. The incumbent works with systems and software engineering leadership to meet system requirements, understand and implement various test processes across the system, clarify software/systems modifications, and champion test and quality standards.
The incumbent directs test engineering leads in charge of matrixed teams tasked with performing day-to-day operations. The candidate should have a broad, diverse background in software development and integration testing, program management, technical management, site management, customer management, and business development. The incumbent has a deep understanding of analyzing and developing total system test products from functional requirements documents; automated testing environments and products; writing/executing test scripts; design integration optimization; and production, test, installation, operation, maintenance, and disposal, with a focus on fulfillment of customer needs. The selected candidate will clearly demonstrate strong leadership skills and have a track record as an effective communicator and problem solver who is able to develop and maintain good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders. S/he will have an ability to successfully operate in a team environment and collaborate across the sector and division business areas as required to accomplish team and program goals. Understanding of developing, implementing, controlling, and monitoring an enterprise system is essential.
The successful candidate is involved in overall management of the test engineering function and also performs individual productive work that may include technical work, consulting, proposal support, or other appropriate technical functions. The individual will work at different levels within industry and must be willing to travel in support of off-site activities. The candidate should have the leadership skills to develop, organize, and execute engineering activities, and to assess technical talent. The candidate should have superior analytic and problem-solving skills, and the ability to gain internal support, to operate independently with limited supervision and feedback, and to establish a solid working relationship with technical staff, engineering and program managers, and peers in the business areas. The candidate should be strong in the area of risk / opportunity management and process improvement as a way of driving quality. This role requires ongoing collaboration with program functional areas to ensure responsive and accurate problem resolution across the supported applications environment.
The position will include leading a test engineering team in the following areas:
- Technical direction to internal and external teams
- Program reporting to program leadership, including the customer
- Test approach development and implementation; comprehensive and objective test application, including test success criteria; defect prioritization and resolution planning; agile and scrum development structure implementation and monitoring
- Ensuring Information Assurance requirements are met
- Development and management of program metrics
- Leading customer interface meetings, including setting the agenda and facilitating the meeting
- Leading program initiatives by interfacing with the customer and internal and external teams, both in-person and remotely
- Planning, preparation, and presentation for readiness reviews
- Performing technical planning, verification and validation, cost and risk, and supportability and effectiveness analyses for total systems. Analyses are performed at all levels of total system product to include concept, design, fabrication, test, installation, operation, maintenance, and disposal
- Ensuring the logical and systematic conversion of customer requests into total systems solutions that acknowledge technical, schedule, and cost constraints
- Engineering process group leadership
- Leading process improvement initiatives as a way to drive quality
- Ensuring engineering team is organized, trained, and equipped to meet present and future requirements
- Proposal development and new business activities
- Other management responsibilities may include:
- Recruiting and retention
- Career guidance and goal-setting
- Performance evaluations
- Compensation evaluations and coordination
- Policy dissemination
- Workload planning/forecasting
- Engineering process development and maintenance
- Development and implementation of organizational vision and strategies
- Bachelor's degree in a science, technology, engineering, or math discipline
- 9 years of experience with hardware, software, and systems test engineering concepts and applications in both modernization and maintenance domains (6 years' experience with a Master's degree)
- Experience leading teams in enterprise-level software testing, and understanding of enterprise-level software application and architecture is essential
- Experience leading test engineering teams and efforts on large-scale programs. Experience building teams and assessing technical talent. Experience developing, organizing, and executing engineering activities
- Understanding of computer system design, requirements development, computer and system security, network engineering and maintenance, and data transmission.
- Superior analytic and problem-solving skills, the ability to gain internal support, and ability to establish solid and positive working relationships across internal and external organizational boundaries
- Familiarity with Test Engineering Processes (e.g., generating test matrices from requirements, developing and executing test scripts and use cases, automated testing, verification and validation, integration, maintenance, operations, etc.), and experience with Services Oriented Architectures, web services, and XML data services
- Experience in agile and/or spiral development models; understanding of the scrum process
- Active, current DoD Secret clearance
- Exemplary oral, written, and presentation communication skills with experience briefing to senior management and customers
- US Citizenship required
- Master's degree in Information Systems or other computer science-related discipline, or MBA
- Knowledge of computer programming in and use of Java, C#, WPF, C QT, ClearCase, and expert knowledge of the Windows operating environment as it applies to the testing environment
- CMMI systems development processes, Rational ClearCase, and ClearQuest
- Project/Program Management Certification (e.g., PMP)
- Certification in Agile processes (e.g., SAFe, CSM, CSP, CSPO, PMI-ACP)
- Professional software testing certification (e.g., CSTE, ISTQB, CAT)
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top