Senior Principal Systems Engineer - Power or Control Systems
- Owings Mills, MD
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems is seeking a Senior Principal Systems Engineer with experience in Power Electronic Systems and/or embedded real-time Control Systems. This position will be located in Sykesville, MD in our Power/Control Systems organization.
The qualified candidate will become part of Northrop Grumman's high performing, Systems Engineering team in developing the military and commercial power conversion, distribution, and networked machinery control systems of the future. The qualified applicant will be exposed to all phases of the program life cycle from concept development through integration, test and support. We offer a dynamic work environment providing the highest level of engineering, product design and system support for our nation's aircraft carriers and submarines, as well as other naval and ground-based system platforms.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Leading/managing tasks and projects on a team developing medium to large power conversion equipment or embedded real time control systems. Items to be addressed consist of electrical, software, controls, cooling and packaging design activities.
- Performing trade studies, generating systems engineering documents, reports and operational documentation.
- Developing requirements, system and sub-system specifications, interface control documentation and concept of operations.
- Generating and presenting material to support internal and external customer briefings, and developing proposals.
- Strong working knowledge of lab test equipment such as oscilloscopes, function generators, and multimeters
- Supporting program requirements management through use of configuration management tools.
- Developing and modifying test plans and procedures
- Completing system integration and test activities
- Generation of verification artifacts supporting system Design Verification Testing and system Acceptance Testing
- Bachelor's Degree in a STEM discipline (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) with 9 years of relevant experience with a BS; 7 years experience with an MS, 4 years experience with a PhD.
-Must have experience in Power Electronic Systems and/or embedded real-time Control Systems.
- Experience in one or more of the following system engineering knowledge areas: technical planning, requirements derivation, functional analysis, timeline analysis, trade studies, cost and risk analysis, interface definition, system design, system integration, verification and validation, supportability and effectiveness analyses for total systems.
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to work within diverse teams.
- Willingness and ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret clearance
- Master's Degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering
- Experience with design of high power military power conversion, nuclear power generation, and/or software enabled real time control systems.
- Experience in system architecture development and system design
- Experience with simulation tools (Simulink, Saber, and SPICE)
- Experience with analog electronics (e.g. sensor interfaces), power electronics, digital electronics, control circuit cards, embedded software, and product support
- Experience with the United States Navy
- A DoD Secret or higher level clearance
- Experience in testing and troubleshooting hardware and/or software
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top