Senior Principal Mechanical Engineer- Undersea Systems
- Annapolis, MD
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage, and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
We are seeking a Mechanical Engineer to join our Undersea Systems team in Annapolis, Maryland. The
Mechanical Engineer will provide structural analysis and structural design support of complex mechanical underwater systems, handling systems, and underwater vehicles. The structural analyst will support development of system design concepts, and evaluation of system characteristics including system trade studies, preliminary designs, detail designs. The structural analyst will also support integration and test activities of individual components, subsystem assemblies, and system level assemblies.
The successful candidate will have background in structural analysis and have proficiency in common analysis tools and analytical techniques. Must have good written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to work both independently and as a member of a multi-disciplinary team in a fast paced environment.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Marine Engineering or a related discipline and 9+ years of related experience with a BS; 7+ years of experience with an MS; 4+ years with a Phd
- Proficiency with analytical techniques including: basic structural analysis and FEA analysis.
- Proficiency with structural analysis tools (including MathCAD, MatLab, FEMAP, Patran, ANSYS Workbench (or other pre/ post processors), Nastran/ANSYS (or other FEA solvers)
- Must be able to obtain a U.S. Security Clearance.
- Moderate proficiency in common engineering /office tools (including 3D CAD programs such as NX, MS Office)
- Underwater structural analysis experience; autonomous underwater vehicle analysis experience; mechanism design
- An active or current TS/SCI clearance with polygraph is preferred.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top