Senior Principal Manufacturing Test Engineer
- Devens, MA
Senior Principal Manufacturing Test Engineer
Adaptive Optics Associates - Xinetics (AOA Xinetics), a wholly-owned Northrop Grumman Space Systems, Payload and Ground Systems Division Business Venture, is currently seeking a Senior Principal Manufacturing Test Engineer to support manufacturing activities in Devens.
AOA-Xinetics designs, develops, and manufactures precision, advanced optical products and systems such as deformable mirrors, optical systems, adaptive optics control systems and silicon carbide optical structures for the U.S. Government, commercial customers, and U.S. defense prime and second-tier contractors. Markets for these technologies include civilian astronomy and semiconductor capital equipment as well as defense ISR and Directed Energy. Several potential direct and adjacent application areas also exist. The Company has substantial growth opportunities in support of many U.S. Government and NGSS business initiatives.
AOX delivers industrial photonics systems and development services for a variety of customers and applications. AOX excels in a range of applications from adaptive optical systems, deformable mirrors, wavefront sensors, precision actuators, to photonic systems that acquire and process data in real time for a variety of high availability applications. AOX's capabilities include lightweight passive and active hybrid CERAFORM silicon carbide optics and precision structures as well as large and small precision opto-mechanical systems supporting electronics and sophisticated controls software.
Reporting to the Manufacturing Engineering Manager, the Senior Principal Manufacturing Test Engineerwill be responsible for the execution and support of current projects and programs in the area of precision pointing products and optical telescope/assemblies manufacturing, and will lead all test activities in support of daily production and process development and will be the product test technical interface between the design engineering staff and production.
- As a member of the MA Manufacturing Engineering Organization, work collaboratively with peers and peer organizations in the development, sustainment, and continuous improvement of test systems, equipment, and methodologies supporting the production of opto-mechanical products such as deformable and fast-steering mirrors, driver electronics and optical systems.
- As part of new product design qualification, creates test procedures, oversees test execution and submits test reports.
- Identify and lead manufacturing improvement initiatives including test automation, test optimization (hardware/software/fixtures), capacity expansion, and new technology introduction
- Develops manufacturing processes that are applicable to statistical process control
- Specifies hardware requirements, develop test programs, integrate test programs with hardware, and perform qualification testing.
- Support the development and implementation of a manufacturing metrics database and GUI
- Provides guidance for engineering regarding design concepts and specification requirements to best utilize equipment and manufacturing techniques
- Support environmental testing as required.
- Troubleshoot and identify root cause analysis manufacturing issues
- Support floor issues as they arise.
- Develops manufacturing test engineering processes that enable the manufacturing of current and future AOX products that meet discriminating technical specifications, high quality standards, and relevant agency compliance requirements.
- Define, implement and monitor process metrics associated with manufacturing work cell functionality.
- Responding to production process problems and driving the implementation of solutions. Collaborate with Quality Engineers to reduce defects and maintain high production yield rates. As required, lead root-cause investigations to identify issue cause and recommend both corrective and preventive actions.
- Customer-facing responsibilities as it relates to Manufacturing Engineering; Support briefings and technical meetings such as Manufacturing Readiness Reviews (MRR) and Production Readiness Reviews (PRR) with external customers; and periodically address customer manufacturing engineering issues and concerns as the company's POC. This includes the creation of technical presentations that may or may not be presented by the individual.
- Identify systems and process goals to ensure that work cells and equipment meet operational performance and usage requirements. This would include identifying preventive maintenance activities to be included in the AOX Manufacturing Preventive Maintenance Program.
- Collaborates with Design Engineering regarding design concepts and specification requirements to best use work cell capabilities and manufacturing processes to assure "design for manufacturing" products.
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering and/or Electrical Engineering or a closely related discipline is required
- 9 Years with Bachelors in Science; 7 Years with Masters.
- Expert with test programming software such as LabVIEW, C , Basic, PLC or other applicable software.
- Experience with motion control (motor/driver/actuator) programming.
- Clear, concise oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in MS Office applications.
- Strong critical thinking and logical reasoning skills and the ability to apply them to solve issues and predict potential technical risks.
- Proven root-cause and Ishikawa analysis skill sets.
- Conducts business with impeccable ethics; fosters ethical behavior at all times. Maintains a positive and professional working environment.
- 12 years' experience in a manufacturing test engineering role within a production environment.
- Practical application of AS9100, ISO 9001-2008 or other specialized quality systems.
- Optical Testing experience with Interferometers, reflectometers, surface profilers is a plus.
- Experience with semiconductor test/assembly automation equipment is a plus.
- Experience with CMM and other high-precision metrology work cells.
- Experience with Lean Manufacturing, Measurement Systems Analysis (MSA), MIL and/or IPC Standards knowledge a plus.
- This position is based in Devens, MA.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Flexibility to changing environment.
- An estimate of travel up to 10% may be required.
Back to top