Senior Principal Manufacturing Engineer
- Goleta, CA
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon.
We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they are making history.
Northrop Grumman Tactical Space Systems Division designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
The Deployables Group is seeking a Mid-Level Manufacturing Engineer to assist an experienced team of engineers to perform manufacturing and design engineering on one or more spacecraft systems or subsystems. Deployables site manufactures spaceflight deployable components that includes solar arrays, deployable structures, spaceflight mechanisms, as well as aircraft antenna products.
Successful candidate is a Technical individual with knowledge of mechanical design and manufacturing processes, as well as basic electrical test procedures (DC circuits). Equally comfortable in the design environment as well as hand-on assembly and test. Typical programs are characterized by two main attributes:
• Non-recurring programs that include a development and design phase followed by procurement, assembly, and test.
• Recurring programs that are primarily procurement, assembly and test as the design work has been previously accomplished.
Manufacturing Engineers interface with a broad range of disciplines, including Design and Analysis Engineering, Purchasing, Production Control, Quality Engineering, Technicians, QA and Facilities personnel as well as customers (Manufacturing Program Manager). Strong communication skills and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people is essential. Leadership attributes, teamwork and team building skills are necessary.
This position is located in Goleta, CA.
• Plans, directs, and coordinates manufacturing processes on factory (manufacturing) floor, as well as basic electrical test procedures (DC circuits).
• Develops, evaluates, and improves manufacturing methods, utilizing knowledge of spacecraft design, composite materials, composite fabrication and processes, tooling and production equipment capabilities, composite assembly methods, and quality control standards.
• Designs manufacturing workflow, layout of equipment and workspace for maximum efficiency.
• Authors detailed manufacturing work instructions that define the specific processes to manufacture hardware.
• Communicates with design staff regarding product design and tooling to ensure efficient production methods.
• Support proposal effort by estimating production times and related costs to provide information for management decisions.
• Effectively communicates with management, engineering, and other staff regarding manufacturing capabilities, and other considerations to facilitate and improve production processes.
• Applies statistical methods to estimate future manufacturing requirements and potential improvements.
• Manage and maintain Manufacturing plan and schedule, budget and product quality.
• Capture and implement lessons learned (continuous improvement).
• Bachelor's Degree in STEM - Science, Technology, Engineering, Math or related area (Degrees in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering highly preferred) and 10 years of experience, Master's Degree and 7+ years of experience.
• Experience must include lay-up, machining, assembly and inspection of composite flight materials and hardware in aerospace environment.
• Capable of representing an organization as a technical contact and interact with program teams and leadership as the technical expert for the manufacturing process.
• Knowledge and application of continuous improvement philosophy, methodology, and tools.
• Skilled at technical problem solving, including formal root cause and corrective action identification and implementation.
• Strong organizational and time management skills to successfully engage in multiple programs simultaneously.
• Effective communication within teams, cross-functional collaboration, and leadership skills.
• Proficient in MS Office - (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project)
• Applicants must be U.S. citizens as defined by ITAR (22 CFR •120.15).
• Planning and scheduling, procedure writing.
• Demonstrated leadership experience, team work oriented, team builder.
• Solar electrical power experience
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top