Senior Principal Engineer Aeronautical
At Northrop Grumman, our work with cutting-edge technology is driven by something human: the lives our technologies protect. It's the value of innovation that makes a difference today and tomorrow. Here you'll have the opportunity to connect with coworkers in an environment that's uniquely caring, diverse, and respectful; where employees share experience, insights, perspectives and creative solutions through integrated product & cross-functional teams, and employee resource groups. From engineering and manufacturing, to operations and business development, Northrop Grumman's Sunnyvale location offers the opportunity to serve national security and impact the lives of Americans all over the globe from the landscape of Northern California. Don't just build a career, build a life at Northrop Grumman Sunnyvale.
Northrop Grumman Marine Systems specializes in the analysis, development, manufacture, assembly and testing of missile launching and handling systems, propulsion, and power generation systems for naval surface ships and submarines. Analyst will lead the development of complex, multi-physics computational fluid dynamic (CFD) and heat transfer performance assessment models for missile launching systems. Models will have a focus on gas dynamics, liquid injection, phase change, missile motion, and fluid-structure interaction; elements required to accurately predict system performance. Experience with commercial CFD software packages such as CFD++, Fluent, CFX and ANSYS Mechanical is required. A broad background in computational fluids modeling is necessary to assist across a range of assignments. Generation of heat transfer models employing conjugate heat transfer principles is desired for stowage and environmental control analyses. Candidate must be able to create presentations and communicate effectively with internal and external customers.
- Bachelors degree in a STEM discipline (Science, Technology, Engineering or Math) and 9+ years of relevant work experienceor Masters degree in a STEM discipline and 7+ years of relevant work experience, or PhD in a STEM discipline and 4+ years ofrelevant work experience
- Engineering experience in a physics-based modeling and simulation environment
- Programming or software development experience in general engineering languages (e.g. MATLAB, C++, FORTRAN, Python, etc.)
- Superior writing skills are required for documentation and technical exchange
- Must be a U.S. citizen to obtain a security clearance
- Degrees in aeronautical/aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, mathematics, or physics with an emphasis in gas dynamics, thermal-fluid dynamics, propulsion or a related area
- Demonstrated ability to develop physics-based computational models that consider the relevant physical mechanisms and balance the fidelity of the solution with the available time and resources
- Experience with modernization of legacy codes written in FORTRAN to modern platforms
- Experience with solid propellant rocket motor performance analysis and launcher system analysis
- Experience with test data reduction and analysis, uncertainty analysis, and verification/validation of computational results using first-principles and experimental data
- Experience developing engineering Graphical User Interfaces (GUI's) and test databases
- Demonstrated ability to lead a software development team in an agile environment. Experience with scrum project management and software version control management a plus
- Experience interfacing with external customers. Interactions with DoD, U.S. Navy customers a plus.
- Active Secret Clearance
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top