Senior Operations Research Analyst 5
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
The Senior Operations Research Analyst (SORA) will perform, but not be limited to, the following duties:
- Conduct studies and analyses across all warfighting domains to assess military utility of Northrop Grumman solutions and guide business strategy development.
- Up to 50% travel in leadership and customer engagement for International and Domestic Mission Engineering activities
- Provide analytical and operational expertise in modeling, simulation and analysis of defense capabilities.
- Develop study objectives, plan, methodology, metrics, Design of Experiments and work schedules.
- Collaborate with study stakeholders, setup models, create scenarios and CONOPS, extract data, analyze results, and provide written reports and briefings.
- AFSIM and MARIS simulations typically used. May be required to support development of analytic tools when appropriate.
- Other supporting models and analyses tools, such as Excel, Matlab, and/or JMP are used to pre and post process analysis results.
- For projects that do not directly lend themselves to solution by an established model, apply general logic, analytic skills, and operations research techniques to provide insights.
- Maintain and update data and model input files contained in the government provided computer systems and used to support studies and analysis efforts; use those data, model input files, and associated software, to support special requests for analysis and decision support; generate special displays, charts, graphics, data pulls, comparisons, and other analyses; and archive study data and retrieve data from previous studies from archives.
- B.S. in Operations Research or STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics), with strong emphasis on research methods and problem solving with at least 20 years of professional experience; 18 years with a Masters degree; 15 years with a PhD)
- At least five (5) years professional experience with research and analysis techniques that blend qualitative and quantitative tools and data
- Demonstrated ability for creativity, critical thinking, and use of a variety of data and information sources to develop meaningful metrics and to assess military concepts, strategy, programs and needs
- Demonstrated experience in the use of mission level simulations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to relay analytic process and findings
- Comfortable and effective working in a collaborative environment at the customer's site when necessary
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Military experience
- Demonstrated capability for development of innovative solutions to complex problems
- Analytic experience with staff work for Armed Services, Combatant Commands, OSD or Joint Staff
- Ability to use specialized campaign or mission level simulations (e.g., STORM, NSS, SEAS, AFSIM, SUPPRESSOR, EADSIM, etc.)
- Background in C++ or Java, and scripting languages such as Python or Perl
- Familiarity with one or more military domains (e.g., land force, air force, maritime force, irregular warfare, air & missile defense, ISR, logistics, CBRNE, C3, etc.)
- Ten (10) years or more professional experience with research and analysis techniques that blend qualitative and quantitative tools and data
- Masters Degree in Operations Research or STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics), with strong emphasis on research methods and problem solving
Back to top