Senior Guidance, Navigation and Control Engineer (Autopilot)
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems located in Melbourne, FL has an opening for a Senior Guidance, Navigation and Controls Engineer to create control law algorithms for manned aircraft.
- The selected candidate in this position will design, develop, implement, verify and test algorithms, software and simulation tools to perform guidance, navigation and control (GNC) of manned aircraft.
- Develop control laws to meet air vehicle performance, flying qualities and stability margin requirements, both on ground and in flight.
- Design pilot relief autopilot and associated logic functions.
- Develop air vehicle system linear and non-linear dynamic simulation models and integrate models into software and hardware-in-the-loop simulation environments.
- Perform performance and flying qualities analysis.
- Support pilot-in-the-loop simulation handling qualities testing.
- Analyze air vehicle flight test data and support flight test activities.
- STEM Bachelor's degree from an accredited university in aerospace with 9 years of engineering experience or a Master's degree with 7 years of engineering experience or a PhD with 4 years of engineering experience.
- MATLAB and/or Simulink programming skills.
- Experienced in Air Vehicle Autopilot or Outer-loop control law design
- Ability to obtain Active DoD Secret Clearance (or higher)
- Actively involved in control law development and test during multiple piloted aircraft programs.
- C/C Programming Skills
- Experience designing control laws for piloted fixed wing aircraft, performing handling qualities analyses, and pilot-in-loop evaluations
- Working knowledge of MIL-STD-1797 flying qualities requirements
- Experience with CNS/ATM requirements
- Experience with RNAV/RNP
- PhD or Master's
- Active Secret Clearance or higher
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top