At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems has an exciting opportunity for a Chemist/Scientist located at the Allegany Ballistics Laboratory near Cumberland, MD. This position will support the development and manufacture of propellant, explosive and adhesive formulations for rocket motor and warhead programs.
- Manage propellant production from subscale through production for assigned programs
- Formulating existing and novel energetic and adhesive compositions
- Proactively interact within cross-functional program teams
- Interface with internal and external customers
- Statistical based analysis of physical and chemical technical data
- Perform duties within industry specific regulations regarding safety, product and material requirements and plant operations
- Takes responsibility for assuring quality, cost effectiveness and timely completion of projects
- Perform technical planning, cost estimation and general proposal support for new business captures
Bachelor's degree in Chemistry or related science field, M.S. or Ph.D. preferred
2 years of related work experience in energetics, adhesives or other chemistry field
Able to obtain a Secret Clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship as a prerequisite
- Understanding of relevant chemistries including elements of polymer, organic, physical and inorganic
- Understanding of statistics related to Statistical Process Control (SPC)
- Willingness to work outside of standard work hours when needed to resolve issues
- High ethical standards of work and personal conduct
- Proficiency in MS office tools and web-based organizational filing
- Must possess good interpersonal skills
- Strong Presentation Skills
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top