Prncpl Engr Human Factors
- Melbourne, FL
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Aeronautics Systems has an opening for a Principal Engineer Human Factors to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in Melbourne, Florida.
The Human Systems Integration team is seeking a Human Factors Engineer (HFE) to join the Northrop Grumman team. In this position, the new member will be part of the Crew Systems team ensuring aircraft hardware and software products meet Human Factors flight and maintenance performance requirements. This position requires a background in Systems Engineering and knowledge of anthropometric design principles. In this position, the selected candidate will apply human performance principles, methodologies, and technologies to the design and test of human-machine systems and products. They will develop and implement evaluation planning and statistical analysis to demonstrate usability of aircraft flight hardware (e.g. cockpit designs, user workstations, and computerized human models). They will develop and execute demonstration/test planning and procedures to include aspects such as usability, workload, and situational awareness questionnaires for pilots to verify Human Factors requirements related to MIL-STD-1472G. They will interface with design engineers and lab personnel to support these activities, perform gap analysis against the standards as warranted, and participate in the requirement disposition process.
- Support the evaluation and test planning of Crew Systems requirements adhering to Human Factors best practices and specified sections of MIL-STD-1472G.
- Contributions to Human Factors Analyses (including but not limited to: Task Analyses and Predictive Workload Analyses, usability studies, workload, and situational awareness surveys.
- Support the development of anthropometric evaluation using prototype hardware and model-based systems engineering methodologies and analysis.
- Contribute to functional analysis, timeline analysis, ingress/egress studies, requirements mapping, and interface definition studies to translate customer requirements into hardware and software solutions.
- Support the preparation, coordination and conduct both predictive and empirical workload analyses as well as usability assessments.
- Conduct computer based (NX) and empirical accessibility assessments from both an operator and maintainer perspectives.
- Author/support the program documentation of the HFE processes and products in a format consistent with US Military Data Item Descriptions (e.g. Human Engineering Program Plan, Human Engineering Design Approach Document - Operator, Human Engineering Design Approach Document - Maintainer, Human Engineering Test Plan, Human Engineering Test Report, et.al).
- Cross IPT Collaboration
• Bachelor's Degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) discipline and 5+ years of software engineering experience -OR-
o Master's Degree in STEM and 3+ years of experience
o PhD in Stem and 0 years of experience
• Proficiency delivering technical solutions/contributions to the completion of project milestones under general supervision
• Active DoD Secret security clearance (investigation updated within last 6 years)
• Ability to obtain additional Special Access Program (SAP) clearance before establishing a start date (contingency)
• NX and NX Jack Expertise
• Experience with the interpretation and application of systems safety, personnel survivability, and habitability requirements to system design
• Significant experience with Systems Engineering processes
• Proficiency in reading/writing test procedures
• Proficiency with MATLAB or SIMULINK
• Experience conducting structured anthropometric evaluations
• Proficiency in writing and executing demonstration & test procedures
• Experience with Integration of HW/SW on an airborne platform
• Experience preparing Human Systems Interface Style Guides
• Understand systems and design thinking as well as HMI/HCI design principles and practices
• Experience with evaluation of anthropometric design, lighting, and acoustics
• Experience with DOORS for requirements mapping
• Experience authoring, evolving, decomposing and verifying requirements from system-level through hardware implementation-level.
• The ability to clearly and accurately express engineering findings orally and in written technical reports and presentations.
• Experience with requirements database development, management, maintenance experience (DOORS), Trade Studies analysis/development
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top