Principal/Sr. Principal RF Microwave Design Engineer
- Rolling Meadows, IL
The Navigation,Targeting & Survivability Division, headquartered in the North Chicago suburbs, develops operational Electronic Warfare (EW) and targeting systems that provide situational awareness, self-protection, and offensive electronic attack capability to platforms across the electromagnetic spectrum.
By joining us, you'll work on projects that help safeguard our nation and allies related to land forces, rotary wing survivability systems, EW systems, communications systems, missile warning systems and sensors, infrared
countermeasure (IRCM) systems, automated test equipment, modeling and simulation, and situational awareness programs. The Hardware Engineering organization plays a key role in developing these mission solutions.
The RF/Microwave Design Engineer role, within Hardware Engineering, involves full life-cycle product development from system concept and requirements through design, prototype build and test, production, verification, and field support while working in integrated product teams spanning Engineering, Manufacturing, Program Management, and Global Supply Chain.
Our integrated microwave assembly (IMA) designs utilize the latest monolithic microwave integrated circuit (MMIC) and discrete device technologies from all major vendors, including internal Northrop Grumman-designed devices. We work closely with our Microelectronics Manufacturing team to advance the state-of-the-art in IMA performance.
As an RF/Microwave Design Engineer, you will be responsible for research, design, development, and support of RF and microwave products. Your expertise in RF/microwave modeling and simulation, along with component-level and circuit level design, analysis, and test/troubleshoot are required for this position.
This position could be filled at either a Principal RF/Microwave or a Sr. Principal RF/Microwave Design Engineer level
Basic qualifications for Principal RF/Microwave Design Engineer
• Bachelor's degree in STEM or similar engineering discipline
• Minimum 5 years of electronics design experience with a Bachelor's degree, or 3 years of electronics design experience with a Master's degree in a technical field
• RF/Microwave circuit design experience, including RF chain/budget analysis, modeling and simulation, prototyping, and testing
• Hands-on prototyping test and troubleshoot experience with complex RF/microwave components, subassemblies, and integrated assemblies; such as amplifiers, mixers, filters, equalizers, switched filter banks, frequency converters, and RF distribution assemblies
• Demonstrated ability to design hardware to meet flowed-down performance specifications
• Familiarity with documentation and configuration management systems similar to DOORS, Teamcenter Enterprise, or ClearCase/ClearQuest
• Proven skills to include: communicating and collaborating with all levels of an organization internally and externally, adaptability, creativity, ability to work independently, ability to solve complex engineering challenges
• US Citizen with ability to obtain government security clearance
Basic qualifications for a Sr. Principal RF/Microwave Design Engineer
• BS degree in a STEM field with a minimum 9 years of electronics design experience or a MS in a STEM field with 7 years of electronics design experience.
• RF/Microwave circuit design experience, including chain analysis, modeling and simulation, and prototyping through test and integration.
• Hands-on prototyping test and troubleshoot experience with complex RF/microwave components, subassemblies, and integrated assemblies; such as amplifiers, mixers, filters, equalizers, switched filter banks, frequency converters, and RF distribution assemblies.
• Demonstrated ability to translate system performance and operational specifications into hardware design and test specifications.
• Familiarity with documentation and configuration management systems similar to DOORS, Teamcenter Enterprise, or ClearCase/ClearQuest.
• Proven skills to include: communicating and collaborating with all levels of an organization internally and externally, adaptability, creativity, ability to work independently, ability to solve complex engineering challenges.
• US Citizen with ability to obtain government security clearance.
• An advanced degree in Electrical Engineering, or similar engineering discipline
• Minimum 5 years of RF/Microwave electronics design experience
• Experience utilizing RF/Microwave design tools including Microwave Office (MWO) or Advanced Design System (ADS)
• Experience with High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS) and MatLab modeling tools
• Experience with millimeter wave (mmW) design and production techniques
• Working knowledge of Electronic Warfare or radar systems
• Experience in a design lead role
• Current Secret or Top Secret security clearance
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top