Principal Tool Designer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently recruiting for a Principal Tool Designer to join our team at the Promontory, Utah location.
Candidate will be responsible for the concept, design, fabrication drawings, inspection requirements, procurement requirements, verification requirements, and fabrication support for tooling and equipment for Aerospace applications.
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Interface with review team to assure customer satisfaction with design
- Managing projects and coordinate all procurements and fabrication to meet the program cost and schedule requirements
- Inspect fabricated support hardware to assure compliance to design
- Work alongside the manufacturing team to ensure overall program quality, delivery, and cost objectives are achieved
- Work with internal Customers to concept needed support equipment for new and existing programs
- Developing tooling concepts, creating/reviewing and improving manufacturing processes to meet Customer requirements
- Work closely with Tool Engineers to create final drawings.
- Understand/monitor cost and schedule
- Review engineering drawings and designs for manufacturability
- Support vendors as needed during fabrication
- Inspect tool configuration for drawing compliance, including fit, form and function
- Support continuous improvement
- Support Operations and Process Engineering in the use of all tooling
- Associates Degree in Mechanical Design
- Minimum 7 years technical experience in design and fabrication of special tooling and related equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate vendor and equipment capability and ability to perform required tasks to include production of tooling as well as unique aerospace part production
- NX modeling and drafting experience.
Strong candidates for this position will possess:
Desire, i.e. passion, to build and manufacture support hardware.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Strong organizational skills in managing time, projects and resources.
Technical attention to detail.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top