Principal Thermal Systems Engineer/ Sr. Principal Thermal Systems Engineer
- Redondo Beach, CA
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
Northrop Grumman Strategic Space Systems Division has an opening for a Principal Thermal Systems Engineer/ Sr. Principal Thermal Systems Engineer to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in Redondo Beach, California.
The ideal candidate will have a complete understanding and wide application of technical principles, theories, and concepts in the field of thermal engineering and general knowledge of other related disciplines.
Candidate responsibilities include (but not limited to) the following:
- Thermal systems requirements development
- Perform thermal analysis to develop and optimize thermal control designs and provide solutions to a wide range of difficult problems
- Coordinate with other engineering disciplines
- Document thermal analyses and designs
- Review and approve drawings for thermal design hardware content
- Report analyses results and design specifics to internal management and external customers.
- Work with test engineering to plan and execute subsystem level thermal tests, as well as perform associated analyses.
- Provide feedback regarding impacts of possible cost and/ or schedule changes
- Work and execute independently with minimal technical oversight and general direction
- Mentor junior engineers and provide guidance on best practice
This requisition may be filled at either the Principal Thermal Systems Engineer or Sr. Principal Thermal Systems Engineer level.
- BQ for Principal Thermal Systems Engineer: Bachelor's degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) from an accredited university with 5 years of engineering experience; OR Masters degree in STEM from an accredited university with 3 years of engineering experience
- BQ for Sr. Principal Thermal Systems Engineer: Bachelor's degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) from an accredited university with 9 years of engineering experience; OR Masters degree in STEM from an accredited university with 7 years of engineering experience.
- Candidate must have, and be able to maintain, SCI access with a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) completed within 5 years
- Design, analysis and integration experience of spacecraft thermal systems
- Experience using thermal analysis tools (SINDA/G, SINDA/FLUINT, TSS, Thermal Desktop)
- Experience using aerospace standard design tools (NX, CATIA)
- MS in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering with 6 years of engineering experience
- Experience with space vehicle thermal design and/or integration
- Detail-oriented and have excellent verbal and written communications skills, leadership skills, and organization skills
- Spacecraft and/or Payload background with experience through the entire system lifecycle from concept, design, production, integration, test, launch, to operation support.
- Experience working on thermal design and troubleshooting efforts.
Back to top