Principal / Sr. Principal Mission Operations Development Engineer - Tactical Space Systems
- Chandler, AZ
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
This position is for a full-time technical role located in our Gilbert, AZ campus. The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Be capable of leading a diverse team of engineers/operators
- Provide mission operations support to NGSS Satellite programs.
- Support system development activities such as requirements management, architecture development, integration and test and formal program milestones.
- Work with systems engineers to develop operational documentation for use during on-orbit checkout and commissioning of satellites.
- Conduct testing using simulators and resolve discrepancies.
- Develop and test command procedures, telemetry pages, and other products derived from vendor provided documentation
- Develop test procedures and test execution for system level, end-to-end tests with the spacecraft.
- Support mission readiness activities including mission rehearsals, mission timeline development, and post launch test development.
- Support launch, including shift work, for instrument and spacecraft LEO&A activities.
- Monitor vehicle state of health across all subsystems.
- Perform short and long-term telemetry trending.
- Track space vehicle configuration, to include both hardware, software, and configurable item parameters.
- Support anomaly resolution efforts.
- Make modifications to existing operations procedures to incorporate lessons learned from in-flight performance. Develop new procedures as required.
- Provide status reporting through both the functional and program reporting branches.
- Provide support to multiple programs.
- Maintain standards associated with the established Integrated/Developmental Operations functional group processes.
- Provide mentoring and guidance to the mission operations team.
- Support internal and external customer meetings through proficient verbal and documented (MS PowerPoint, MS Word, MS Excel) communications.
- May require shift work and travel ~ 10% of the time for simulation and launch support.
This is requisition can be filled at the Principal or Sr. Principal Mission Operations Development Engineer level. Basic qualifications below listed for each level.
- Principal Missions Operations Development Engineer: Bachelor's Degree in engineering or related discipline and 5 years' experience; 3 years with Masters; 0 years with PhD.
- Sr. Principal Missions Operations Development Engineer: Bachelor's Degree in engineering or related discipline and 9 years' experience; 7 years with Masters; 4 years with PhD
- Ability to work within a group of diversified individuals with varying backgrounds to achieve mission success.
- Prior experience conducting on-orbit mission operations or resolving satellite/ground system anomalies.
- Experience with at least one S/C Subsystem (ADCS/GNC, command and data handling, communications, power, Thermal, flight software, orbital planning and dynamics, etc.)
- System engineering experience or significant classwork in system engineering or system design
- Experience writing technical documents for internal or external customers
- Outstanding verbal and written communications skills, including ability to make persuasive presentations to external customers at milestone reviews
- Support of readiness activities to include; Mission Readiness Tests (MRTs), Mission Rehearsals (MRs), Day In The Life (DITL) and daily operations testing.
- Experience with spacecraft launch campaigns
- Prior experience with virtualized deployment of LINUX based ground control software onto a ground system infrastructure
- Experience with MAESTRO command and control software
- Familiarity with training and certification programs for space system operators
- Experience working on government systems and/or government process environment
- Current Active Security Clearance (TS/SCI) or ability to obtain security clearance is a plus
Back to top