Principal / Sr Principal Engineer Tool
- San Diego, CA
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Tactical Space System designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
The Space Components Division located in San Diego, CA is seeking a Principal or Sr. Principal Tool Engineer to join our team. This position could also be located in Magna, Utah.
As a Tool Engineer, you will designs industrial machinery and equipment, tools, dies, gauges, jigs, fixtures, and machine attachments required for production or experimental use, considering such factors as accessibility, economy, mobility, and performance requirements.
- Designs production molds, assembly fixtures, handling fixtures, drill jigs, machining fixtures, test fixtures, inspection fixtures, and other tooling required for manufacturing, handling and test.
- Investigates pertinent design factors such as ease of manufacture, availability of materials and equipment, interchangeability, strength, contractual specification requirements, and cost.
- Contributes to the design of major components or major portions of a functional system to develop or improve products and facilitate manufacturing operations.
- Utilizes computer-aided design (CAD) equipment, develops basic data, completes preliminary analysis for material sizing, and makes preliminary layouts, sketches and notes necessary to present design proposals and/or concepts to internal and external customers.
- Creates layouts and drawings of complex assemblies and details parts of devices, mechanisms, and structures.
- Checks completed layouts and drawings for clarity, completeness, conformity to standards, procedures, specifications, and accuracy of calculations and dimensioning.
- Identifies design errors, omissions, and other deficiencies, and recommends revisions and/or improvements in design layout to fellow responsible engineers or designers.
- Works with internal and external customers and suppliers to support the design and procurement process.
- Supports development of technical solutions to complex problems which require regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
- Applies current technology and aids in the development of new technologies.
- Interacts with senior internal and external personnel on technical matters often requiring coordination between organizations
- Principal : BS degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering and 5 years related experience required; MS degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering and 3 years related experience preferred
- Senior Principal : BS degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering and 9 years related experience required; MS degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering and 7 years related experience preferred
- US Citizen
- Some design experience required/ tool design experience a plus
- CAD solid modeling (experience with NX a plus) and drafting experience required
- Knowledge and experience with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) a plus
- Experience with Teamcenter a plus
- Knowledge of composite material properties and applications a plus
- Experienced with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to clearly present technical information
- Strong customer service skills
- Able to work seated/standing at a desk in five hour increments.
- Requires repetitive arm, hand, and wrist movements in five hour increments.
- Occasionally lift up to 25 pounds.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top