Principal / Senior Principal Software Engineer
- San Jose, CA
At Northrop Grumman we develop cutting-edge technology that preserves freedom and advances human discovery. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We continue to innovate with developments from launching the first commercial flight to space, to discovering the early beginnings of the universe. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
The Engineering & Sciences (E&S) organization pushes the boundaries of innovation, redefines engineering capabilities, and drives advances in various sciences. Our team is chartered with providing the skills, innovative technologies to develop, design, produce and sustain optimized product lines across the sector while providing a decisive advantage to the warfighter. Come be a part of our mission!
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems Sector is seeking a highly motivated Software Engineer to develop, debug and implement software products and scripts to run on processing electronics for defense applications. This position will be located in San Jose, CA.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Develop, document, test, and debug software that contains logical and mathematical solutions to business/mission problems.
Apply appropriate standards, processes, procedures, and tools throughout the development life cycle.
Diagnose problems encountered during application integration among products and address fixes/enhancements according to prescribed program processes.
Design and develop complex software using a variety of programming and scripting languages.
Develop software on diverse platforms including UNIX, Linux and Windows based operating systems.
Utilize configuration management tools, database applications and related software development tools.
Solve complex technical issues with limited supervision.
This position can be filled at a Principal or Senior Principal level. A current active Top Secret Clearance is required. Applicants without a Clearance may be considered with the understanding that employment will not begin until a TS/SCI Clearance is attained.
Basic Qualifications for a Principal Software Engineer:
- Bachelor's Degree with 5+ years of relevant work experience, or Master's Degree with 3+ years of relevant work experience, or PhD with 0 years of relevant work experience. Note, 9+ years of relevant work experience may be considered in lieu of a Degree.
- US Citizen with current Active TS/SCI Security Clearance.
- Relevant work experience in software development using Python, Java, C/C++.
Basic Qualifications for a Senior Principal Engineer Software:
- Bachelor's Degree with 9+ years of relevant work experience, or Master's Degree with 7+ years of relevant work experience, or PhD with 4+ years of relevant work experience. Note, 13+ years of relevant work experience may be considered in lieu of a Degree.
- US Citizen with current Active TS/SCI Security Clearance
- Relevant work experience in software development using Python, Java, and C/C++
- Understanding of software development lifecycle and roles within each phase
- Relevant work experience with scripting languages
- Demonstrated understanding of software design principles (e.g. software design patterns)
- Demonstrated success working individually and as part of a team requiring little supervision
- Expertise with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio)
- Prior experience with implementing visual design and develop front-end UI
- Create and maintain information architecture
- Experience with MEAN stack - MongoDB, Express, AngularJS, NodeJS - or Meteor
- Experience with Cesium, WebGL Globe, and other geospatial tools/standards (Google Earth, KML, etc.)
- Prior experience using the Agile Scrum methodology
- Prior experience using Rally, GitHub, Jenkins, Selenium applications
- Prior experience with database design, implementation, and interfacing
- Prior experience developing applications using web services or other web technologies
- Prior experience with distributed processing and data analytics
- Prior experience incorporating off-the-shelf software products/libraries into applications
- Prior experience in software testing
What We Can Offer You:
Northrop Grumman provides a comprehensive benefits package and a work environment that encourages your growth and supports the mutual success of our people and our company. Northrop Grumman benefits give you the flexibility and control to choose the benefits that make the most sense for you and your family. Your benefits will include the following:
Paid Time Off
Training and Development
Flexible Work Arrangements
Additional Northrop Grumman Information:
Northrop Grumman has approximately 85,000 employees in all 50 states and in more than 25 countries, we strive to attract and retain the best employees by providing an inclusive work environment wherein employees are receptive to diverse ideas, perspectives and talents to help solve our toughest customer challenges: to develop and maintain some of the most technically sophisticated products, programs and services in the world.
Our Values . The women and men of Northrop Grumman Corporation are guided by Our Values. They describe our company as we want it to be. We want our decisions and actions to demonstrate these Values. We believe that putting Our Values into practice creates long-term benefits for shareholders, customers, employees, suppliers, and the communities we serve.
Our Responsibility . At Northrop Grumman, we are committed to maintaining the highest of ethical standards, embracing diversity and inclusion, protecting the environment, and striving to be an ideal corporate citizen in the community and in the world.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top