Principal RF Antenna Cognizant Engineer (Top Secret Req'd) - Space Systems
- Dulles, VA
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today!
Northrop Grumman Space Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman is seeking an RF Antenna Cognizant Engineer. Physically realizing a producible spaceflight antenna requires extensive interaction with other disciplines in spacecraft engineering, such as mechanical and thermal engineering. The Antenna Cog E must be comfortable collaborating with these other disciplines and incorporating design changes accordingly. This is not an academic position producing theoretical studies. To be successful in this role, you should want to work on flight hardware, which is a multi-disciplinary environment, and typically has tight schedules requiring energetic and self-starting individuals.
The Dulles team includes diverse skills, so some Cost Account Managementwork is included in the responsibilities for this role (managing cost and schedule for the antenna under development). Ideally, you will have some experience with CAM, but these responsibilities can be trained. If interested in this role, you should be willing to manage cost & schedules.
In this role you will:
- Oversee the complete development and space-qualification of integrated antenna systems and components (especially feed systems) from performance definition to final spacecraft-level test, including cost, schedule, and technical responsibility
- Generate key procurement and hardware development documents including Performance Specifications, Interface Control Documents, Test Plans and Procedures, and Statements of Work
- Multidisciplinary (mechanical, RF thermal) and cross-site collaboration and coordination for a full life cycle development of a spacecraft antenna system, especially an antenna feed network.
- Technical assistance to Subcontracts in the negotiation of component specifications, deliverables, cost, and schedule
- Subcontractor management and continuous technical monitoring throughout the procurement life cycle (some travel required)
- Design, analysis, optimization, manufacturing, and test of antenna systems for wide variety of satellite programs
Additionally, you may:
- Provide integration and test support for the antenna systems including unit-level functional and environmental testing, spacecraft level RF range testing, and in-orbit checkout
- Support to Business Development initiatives on antenna performance and cost estimates for rapid turn-around proposals
- Support design and analysis of a variety of antenna types including: reflectors, feeds, patch antennas, wire antennas (e.g., helices), and arrays through modeling/simulation with a variety of industry-standard design tools such as GRASP, POS, CHAMP, HFSS, MATLAB, etc.
Education and Experience
BS in a STEM field (ideally Engineering) & 5 years of experience (or Masters with 3 yrs or PhD)
Must have U.S. Citizenship with a current or active Top Secret level clearance.
- Cost Account Management skills a strong plus
- Possess aerospace experience
- Experiences in satellite reflector antenna and phased array antenna designs
- Experience with antenna range testing, including Far-Field and Near-Field
- Adaptive to fast paced, dynamic environment
- Dependability and good interpersonal skills - Excellent verbal and written communications skills
Back to top