Principal Optical Engineer
Northrop Grumman Corporation, Precision Targeting and Protection, located in Apopka, FL, is looking for a highly motivated, Physicist/Engineer specializing in laser-systems modeling and/or EO/IR design and analysis. This position requires an individual with a positive attitude, excellent design and communication skills, demonstrated leadership, entrepreneurial mindset, and the ability to work well in a team environment.
The ideal candidate shall be able to model and analyze designs for EO/IR hardware including system level design through laser design. An emphasis on high level mathematical modeling is a plus as well as knowledge with current software programs such as TracePro, LasCAD, ZeMax, and/or GLAD. In addition, the candidate should have a solid understanding of interfacing with programs such as PRO/E and ANSYS (or similar FEA tools). The candidate should be able to conduct independent research leading to design, build, and test of hardware and apply knowledge and research results to achieve desired optical/system performance. This candidate shall also support component specifications for critical items which may include tolerance determinations, simulations, and test procedures for EO/IR systems, lasers, or components.
This position requires a Solid State Laser Physicist/Engineer with proven ability in the design, development and support of state-of-the-art, diode-pumped solid-state (DPSS) laser & amplifier systems. The chosen candidate will work closely with Systems/Mechanical/Electrical Engineers, Laser Technicians and Program Managers to develop new products, engineer product enhancements, and provide technical support for fielded systems and Laser Manufacturing.
- Bachelor of Science degree in photonics, laser physics, or closely related field plus 5 years of relevant experience, or a Master of Science degree in photonics, laser physics, or closely related field plus 3 years of
relevant experience or a PhD degree in photonics, laser physics, or closely related field.
- Strong computational, laboratory, and instrumentation skills
- Strong modeling capability using tools such as Mathematica, MatLab, MathCAD, TracePro, LasCAD, Zemax and/or GLAD
- Ability to conduct trade studies within architectures that cross multiple platforms and optimize operational effectiveness of a family of systems
- Strong writing, verbal, and presentation skills in English language
- US Citizenship is required with the ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret level clearance
- PhD degree in photonics, laser physics, or closely related field
- Experience with the design & manufacture of military lamp-pumped & diode-pumped solid-state laser systems
- Experience with the development of new electro-optics products from inception to delivery
- Experience with multi-disciplinary teams
- Active Secret clearance
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top