Principal Operations Program Engineer
- Buffalo, NY
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems Sector is seeking an Principal Operations Program Engineer to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals at our Buffalo, NY campus.
This position will be the point-of-contact between Manufacturing and the Program Management organization on assigned programs or projects. In addition to the Manufacturing and Program Management groups, this position will work heavily with Quality & Mission Excellence, Engineering, Business Management and Global Supply Chain. In this role, the individual will ensure schedule and cost conformance on assigned programs or projects by acting as the Control Account Manager (CAM) in a high-energy environment supporting the procurement, build, and test of electronic warfare simulation equipment.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Coordinate all aspects of manufacturing scope of work throughout program lifecycle including procurement coordination, manpower and capacity planning, and reporting of program cost, schedule, technical and quality performance.
• Function as an interface between Manufacturing and functional groups and provide leadership through design, build, test, and delivery to achieve customer, program and company objectives.
• Act as the CAM for Manufacturing, including assembly, test and manufacturing support functions, on assigned programs or projects.
• Manage resource loading of the manufacturing area, which includes establishing schedules that are in line with organizational capacities.
• Work to develop better methods/models to manage labor resources and improve forecasting accuracy.
• Work to develop better metrics and visibility in reporting of program cost, schedule and quality.
• Estimate the Operations content in proposals to secure new business and ensure the accuracy, feasibility and affordability of pricing data that is being presented to customers.
• Manage all operations of performing entity when a supplier or Northrop Grumman facility is performing Amherst builds, including but not limited to:
o Make/buy decisions
o Quote coordination
o Intercompany Work Order (IWO) creation and maintenance working through Global Supply Chain (GSC)
o Material tracking and coordination of kitting
o Build status
o Schedule performance
o Cost performance
o Quality/technical issues
o Relationship management
o Continuous improvement strategy and implementation
• May require occasional travel (up to ~4 times per year).
In addition to the Operation Program Engineering responsibilities, this role will also carry with it some responsibilities in the fields of Production Planning and Control, Industrial Engineering and Manufacturing Engineering. The individual in this role should be able to help with these other functions when team members are not available or if assigned as a stretch project.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Process Manufacturing Build Authorizations (MBAs) and Purchase Requisitions (PRs)
• Create Manufacturing Orders (MOs)
• Provide material status
• Expedite material shortages
• Coordinate issuing and picking of material to floor
• Review and process Inventory Movement Forms (IMFs)
• Process Engineering Change Notifications (ECNs)
• Create estimates and labor standards for assembly and test
This individual will also need to have strong technical skills, as this position interfaces heavily with Engineering and works technical issues, as well as the ability and desire to be a leader and change agent and drive improvement into our processes. Those working in this role will need to have a solid technical background in order to effectively communicate with the engineering, assembly and test team members.
• Bachelor of Science degree in an Engineering discipline or Bachelor of Science degree with equivalent technical background plus 5 years of related experience; or Master of Science degree in Engineering or technical discipline plus 3 years of experience
• Experience working in a manufacturing environment
• Ability to provide direction to determine priorities to achieve goals
• Ability to collaborate in a team environment
• Ability to prepare and analyze data and figures
• Ability to comprehend and analyze complex problems and develop solutions
• Master's degree in Engineering or Business Administration
• Production Planning knowledge
• Customer interface skills
• Control Account Manager (CAM) experience
• Continuous Improvement (CI) experience
• Supplier management experience
• Quoting/estimating experience
• Experience with EVMS or clear understanding of Earned Value (EV)
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top