Principal Mechanical Systems Engineer
- Annapolis, MD
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems is seeking talented Mechanical Engineers to join the Undersea Systems Business Unit located in Annapolis, MD. Come join the Undersea Systems team where innovation and quality thrive!
Our work supports the protection of freedom and democracy through the advancement of technology and human discovery. We are looking for people with bold new ideas and the courage to take creative risk toward developing expansive new capabilities. We do work that has never been done before...and have fun along the way.
The successful candidate Mechanical Engineer will:
• Provide technical leadership in the conception, analysis and design of complex mechanical underwater systems, handling systems and underwater vehicles.
• Support and/or lead development of system design concepts, evaluation of system characteristics including system trade studies, subsystem design, and integration and test.
• Demonstrate a background in designing for manufacturability, with a knowledge of fabrication processes for marine structures and subsystems, and proficiency in common design tools and analytical techniques.
• Present experience in the development of mechanical systems test programs, including integration and testing, with knowledge of related electrical and software systems, underwater cables & connectors, winch/cable systems, electronic packaging, and mechanisms.
• Project leadership is a plus.
Basic Qualifications for a Principal Mechanical Systems Engineer:
• Engineering degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, Marine or Ocean Engineering, or a related field with a minimum of 5 years' of experience with a BS, 3 years' of experience with a MS, or 0 years' of experience with a PhD.
• Active or Current TS clearance is required.
• Moderate proficiency in common engineering /office tools (including MathCad, MatLab, FEA, MS Office) and analytical techniques including: basic structural, thermal and machine design.
• Proficiency with 3D CAD programs such as NX and knowledge of engineering drawing development.
• Good written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to work both independently and as a member of a multidisciplinary team in a fast paced environment
In addition to the basic qualifications, specific experience in design and/or analysis supporting ocean engineering, naval architecture or marine engineering, including structures, material sciences, and mechanical systems packaging for deep ocean applications.
• Leadership and/or project management experience is desired.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top