Principal Mechanical Engineer
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking an experienced Principal Production Engineer to provide support to our Armament Systems Business Unit team in our Plymouth, MN offices.
This position provides production engineering support for the fabrication of medium caliber ammunition. The person filling this position must understand industry standard manufacturing processes and have recently contributed in a production environment. This position requires adherence to the Armament Systems Business Unit Quality Management System. Production engineering support is needed in our three remote manufacturing facilities, test facilities, international co-production projects and our supplier locations. Domestic and international travel to these facilities is a requirement of the job.
This position's primary focus is on existing legacy business and/or advanced ammunition development products. Contracts often require unique build requirements which result in Bill of Material (BOM), Build List and process changes, Engineering Change Orders, Contract Data Requirement List (CDRL) submissions, etc.
The person filling this position must be able to work with a wide variety of multi-disciplined people, in remote settings and interact with them frequently. Building strong trusting relationships is a key to success.
Additional responsibilities include supporting completion of engineering projects within area of assigned responsibility. Ensuring and reviewing product designs for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, and related specifications. Must apply engineering knowledge and use scientific methods, theories and research techniques in the investigation and solution of technical problems in a fasted-pasted environment.
This position provides technical Production Engineering support within the Medium Caliber Ammunition Engineering Organization. Typical duties will include but are not limited to the following:
• Assemble and maintain Manufacturing Bills of Material and Build Lists,
• Ensure appropriate documentation is in Configuration Management system,
• Develop Task Releases and get them approved and introduced into the manufacturing system,
• Engineering interface to Supply Chain, Metal Parts operations, Quality Control and Mission Assurance and provide technical disposition on non-conforming product from internal and external sources,
• Support the planning and preparation for production and customer acceptance, chair the following events at the respective location per established processes;
- Production Readiness Review
- Build Readiness Review
- Test Readiness Review (Lot Acceptance and First Article Acceptance Test)
• Work with Design Engineering in the preparation for the releases of Engineering Change Orders,
• Work with Design Engineering in the preparation for production of newly developed products,
o Assist in the resolution of complex manufacturing line process issues such as metal finishing and/or heat treating
• Ensure and maintain efficient and effective manufacturing line operations,
• Provide Engineering disposition on tooling and gage changes specific to product lines,
• Coordinate with Design and Project Engineering leadership on design and/or manufacturability issues,
• Present technical image and act as a technical point of contact
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
• Technical understanding of mechanical mechanisms, manufacturing processes, metal coatings, heat treatments and metal fabrication and standard assembly processes.
• Accountable for the successful completion of engineering projects.
• Requires extensive regular contact with assigned project customers, both internal and external.
• Assist in the preparation of engineering project proposals.
• Budget monitoring and trend tracking.
• Participating in customer meetings and resolving engineering and management project issues.
• Ensure effective engineering and customer communications.
• Design or update and document metal parts finishing, heat treat, electrostatic lacquer and enamel painting and/or metal parts manufacturing and assembly processes.
• Set-up, de-bugs and prove-out metal parts finishing, heat treat, electrostatic lacquer and enamel painting and/or metal parts manufacturing and assembly processes, etc.
• Support of First Article and Lot Acceptance Testing
• BS degree in Engineering discipline and minimum of 7 years or MS degree in Engineering discipline and 5 years' experience in a manufacturing environment.
• AS9100C or a minimum of ISO9001:2008 manufacturing experience.
• Demonstrated experience in product design verification, inspection and non-conformance handling protocols.
• Experience and proficiency in working with multiple projects simultaneously.
• Experience with automated production lines
• Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Suite, including MS Project.
• Ability to obtain a secret clearance. May be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
• Travel up to 25%
• US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top