Principal Manufacturing Engineer / Opto Mechanical
Position Summary / Responsibilities Adaptive Optics Associates Xinetics (AOX), a Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems (NGAS) Strategic Business Venture, is seeking an Opto-Mechanical Manufacturing Engineer IV for its MA Manufacturing organization located in Devens, MA.
Northrop Grumman's Adaptive Optics Associates-Xinetics (AOX) is a leader in developing mission critical electro-optical and opto-mechanical systems. Across its three Business Areas (Xinetics, Image Metrology and Special Programs) that have facilities in Devens MA and East Hartford, CT, AOX designs, manufactures and services optical & photonic solutions world. AOX customers are the U.S. Government, industrial customers, as well as U.S. defense prime and second-tier contractors. Markets for these technologies include civilian astronomy and defense ISR & Directed Energy programs. AOX has substantial growth opportunities in support of many U.S. Government and NGAS's business initiatives.
The Opto-Mechanical Manufacturing Engineer IV will be responsible for the execution and support of current projects and programs in the area of precision pointing products and optical telescope/assemblies manufacturing. Specifically, the Optical Manufacturing Engineer will be responsible for daily production and process development. He/she will be the technical interface between the product engineering staff and production. The position activities will include but are not limited to:
Roles and Responsibilities:
- As a member of the MA Manufacturing Engineering Organization, would work collaboratively with peers and peer organizations in the development and production of opto-mechanical products such as deformable and fast-steering mirrors as well as optical systems.
- Responsible for opto-mechanical manufacturing process development including assembly and alignment of optical assemblies, material bonding decisions, etc. This role would support project work from new product introduction to ramp up of current production in support of the targeted business growth objectives.
- Support design for manufacturing with MIL-STD 810G environmental considerations.
- Support environmental testing as required
- Troubleshoot and identify root cause analysis manufacturing issues
- Support floor issues as they arise
- Support Manufacturing Readiness Reviews (MRR) and Production Readiness Reviews (PRR)
- Responsible for the creation of production work packages, upon issuance of work orders, that defines through work instructions material and manufacturing flow. These work instructions shall include the tailoring of process engineering and inspection/test data needs to comply with End-Item-Data-Package requirements.
- Develops manufacturing engineering processes, manufacturing processes shall enable the manufacturing of current and future AOX products that meet technical specifications, high quality standards, and relevant agency compliance requirements.
- Monitoring existing, as well as defining and implementing new process metrics and associated manufacturing work cell functionality.
- Identify and propose manufacturing improvement projects in collaboration with team members including the following; manufacturing process improvement, yield management, production rate improvement and work cell enhancements and procurement. Use fundamental opto-mechanical principles to drive production and design changes that result in superior products.
- Responding to production process problems and driving the implementation of solutions. Collaborate with Quality Engineers to reduce defects and maintain high production yield rates. As required, lead root-cause investigations to identify issue cause and recommend both corrective and preventive actions.
- Customer-facing responsibilities as it relates to Manufacturing Engineering; (i) Support briefings and technical meetings such as Manufacturing Readiness Reviews (MRR) and Production Readiness Reviews (PRR) with external customers; and (ii) periodically address customer manufacturing engineering issues and concerns as the company's POC. This includes the creation of technical presentations that may or may not be presented by the individual.
- Identify systems and process goals to ensure that work cells and equipment meet operational performance and usage requirements. This would include identifying preventive maintenance activities to be included in the AOX Manufacturing Preventive Maintenance Program.
- Contributes to work order standard generation with MA Manufacturing Work Standards Management.
- Technical recommendations and oversight of external suppliers that provide manufacturing services.
- Collaborates with Product Engineering regarding design concepts and specification requirements to best use work cell capabilities and manufacturing processes to assure design for manufacturing products.
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering and/or Electrical Engineering or a closely related discipline is required
- >9 Years with Bachelors in Science; 7 Years with Masters; 4 Years with PhD.
- Expert with mechanical design software; e.g. Solidworks
- Expert in ASME Y14.5-2009, Dimensioning and Tolerancing specification.
- Clear, concise oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in MS Office applications including MS Visio.
- Strong critical thinking and logical reasoning skills and the ability to apply them to solve issues and predict potential technical risks.
- Proven root-cause and Ishikawa analysis skill sets.
- Conducts business with impeccable ethics; fosters ethical behavior at all times. Maintains a positive and professional working environment.
- >12 years' experience in a manufacturing engineering role within a production environment
- Proficiency with various shop tooling and metrology techniques to support optical system assembly and alignment.
- Practical application of AS9100, ISO 9001-2008 or other specialized quality systems
- Management of material production and changes using a structured process
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top