Principal Manufacturing Engineer - Ceramics
- San Diego, CA
COI Ceramics (COIC), a part of Northrop Grumman's Space Components Business Unit, leads the industry in the development, fabrication and production of High Temperature Ceramic Matrix Composite Components and test articles. COIC is currently hiring a Principal Manufacturing Engineer in our San Diego, CA location.
As a Manufacturing Engineer for COIC responsibilities will include both the planning and execution phases of flight hardware fabrication for a wide variety of aerospace applications.
- Plans, directs, and coordinates manufacturing processes on factory (manufacturing) floor.
- Develops, evaluates, and improves manufacturing methods, utilizing knowledge of component odesign, composite materials and parts, composite fabrication and processes, tooling and production equipment capabilities, composite assembly methods, and quality control standards.
- Designs manufacturing workflow, layout of equipment and workspace for maximum efficiency.
- Communicates with design staff regarding product design and tooling to ensure efficient production methods.
- Develops purchase requests and partners with vendors to determine product specifications of equipment, materials, or parts, and evaluates products according to specifications and quality standards.
- Support proposal effort by estimating production times and related costs to provide information for management decisions.
- Communicates with management, engineering, and other staff regarding manufacturing capabilities, and other considerations to facilitate production processes.
- Applies statistical methods to estimate future manufacturing requirements and potential.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering and a minimum of 5 years of experience in advanced composite manufacturing (aircraft/aerospace), fabrication, and assembly processes. Experience must include lay-up, machining, assembly and inspection of composite flight materials and hardware.
- Skilled at representing an organization as a technical contact and interacting with teams and leadership on important technical elements of the build, assembly, and manufacturing
- Knowledge and application of continuous improvement philosophy and tools.
- Expertise with problem solving, including identify root cause and implement technical solutions to ensure product quality and improve process.
- Skilled at developing program bill of materials (BOM).
- Ability to read, interpret and create engineering drawings.
- Prefer knowledge and application of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T)
- Strong organizational skills in managing time, projects and resources.
- Effective team communication, collaboration, and influencing others skills.
- Strong computer skills and presentation development and delivery skills.
- DoD Collateral Secret or higher clearance
- Prefer CAD experience (NX-10/Team-center or other CAD experience)
- Ceramic matric composites knowledge and experience
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top