Principal Guidance Navigation & Controls (GNC) Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman's Innovation Systems is seeking a motivated candidate that will fill the position of Spacecraft Guidance, Navigation, and Control (GNC) engineer. This position will complete Guidance, Navigation, and Control tasks related to the development and support of mission operations processes and procedures for customer space missions. The specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Planning, writing, and executing spacecraft GNC related activities and procedures for customer space missions,
- Planning and verifying spacecraft maneuvers and executing real-time telemetry analysis
- Support on-orbit anomaly resolution,
- Support algorithm development, mission simulation, scripting, and verification activities,
- Participation in mission rehearsals to simulate engineering tasks performed in operations,
- Participation in rotating 24x7 mission operations shift coverage, and
- Generation of data analysis reports.
- Minimum Education/Experience:5 Years with Bachelors in Science;3 Years with Masters
- Must be a US citizen and have the ability to obtain a Top Secret security clearance
Experience within the following technical areas is desired:
* Control systems analysis, including time and frequency domain techniques, linear and nonlinear control design, covariance analysis, and the design and tuning of Kalman filters for attitude determination and relative navigation,
* Missions involved with rendezvous and proximity operations,
* Space vehicle or sensor modeling and simulation using MATLAB, STK, and Free-Flyer,
* Embedded control systems, and
* MATLAB/Simulink, C/C++, Python, and STOL programming languages.
Preferred candidate would possess:
* MS degree in engineering, physics, or math
* Proficiency in MATLAB/Simulink and C/C++
* Experience in spacecraft GNC subsystem design, analysis, and testing
* Experience implementing GNC algorithms on embedded systems
* Current TS/SCI Clearance
* Strong verbal and written communications skills
* Strong interpersonal skills
* Strong analytical skills
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
A’Darien J.Enterprise Communications Professional
A’Darien oversees executive and organizational communications within the company in order to ensure all Northrop Grumman employees are kept in the know and are aware of the company’s values.
Back to top