Principal Flight Software Engineer - Embedded Systems (TS and/or SCI Clearance)
- Manhattan Beach, CA
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
Northrop Grumman is a pioneering company. We design, develop, build and support some of the world's most advanced products, from cutting-edge aircraft and next-generation spacecraft to unrivaled cyber security systems and all-seeing radars.
Whether it's making a 200 ton airplane invisible, predicting cyber-attacks before they happen or solving the mysteries of the universe, wherever the boundaries of possible are being pushed, Northrop Grumman is there.
For 60 years, Northrop Grumman has anticipated the future of military space. From the launch pad to orbit, we deliver everything from missile systems to spacecraft to launch and command and control systems. We are dedicated to providing strategic defense, secure and reliable communications, robust missile warning and advanced space situational awareness to support our customers.
Northrop Grumman Strategic Space Systems is looking for you to join our team as a Principal Software Engineer with the Software Engineering organization based out of Manhattan Beach, CA.
The Software Engineer will develop embedded software which will operate in a resource constrained target environment with soft and hard real time requirements for various flight/space/ground systems. The software will typically implement complex data analysis, data routing, and/or control systems algorithms. Candidate will need familiarity with various processor, memory, and I/O architectures and be able to implement both procedural and object-oriented software in C/C++ and Java. Candidate will work with real-time operating systems, such as VxWorks, and their associated host/development environments and tools. Candidate must be comfortable in a lab environment.
Designs, develops, documents, tests and debugs applications software and systems that contain logical and mathematical solutions. Conducts multidisciplinary research and collaborates with equipment designers and/or hardware engineers in the planning, design, development, and utilization of electronic data processing systems for product software. Determines overall system and user needs; analyzes system capabilities to resolve problems on program intent, output requirements, input data acquisition, programming techniques and controls; prepares operating instructions; designs and develops compilers and assemblers, utility programs, and operating systems. Ensures software standards are met.
Candidate should have academic and work experience in software engineering and development across the full life cycle for embedded systems on aerospace programs. Candidate should have experience working in a process oriented environment utilizing waterfall, spiral, or agile processes. Candidates should also have strong verbal and written communication skills, and be comfortable working on large teams with talented engineering from other engineering disciplines.
- Bachelor's Degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics) discipline and 5+ years software development experience, or Master's Degree in a STEM discipline and 3+ years of software development experience, or PhD Degree in a STEM discipline and 0+ years of software development experience
- Experience with Object-Oriented software design and C, C++ languages
- Experience with real-time software development for real-time operating systems such as VxWorks
- Active TS and/or SCI Clearance
- Dept of Defense Top Secret level with a background investigation date within 6 years OR SCI access with a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) completed within 5 years OR Dept of Energy Q clearance with a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) completed within 5 years
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited university
- Experience in multiple programming languages including C,C++
- Experience across the full life cycle including software systems architecture development, requirements definition and analysis, OO development, code and unit test, system integration and test
Back to top