Principal Engr Sys Test
Mission Planner working at Palmdale Plant 42 to support several Programs by producing mission plans per engineering release in a dynamic flight test environment. This position may require intermittent travel to other contractor/test sites on short-term assignments.
Interpret and clarify customer, test engineering, and pilot functional requirements in order to produce highly accurate and error free mission plans using Joint Mission Planning System (JMPS) and other Mission Planning Suites. This requirement demands an individual with critical attention to detail, configuration management, and strong prescient analytical mind set, used to being self-motivated, to build computer based mission plans for Manned and Autonomous Aircraft. The candidate will also help support software development of emerging mission planning software upgrades, and working with software development on improvements to mission planning software.
Mission Planner Duties:
- Creates unique mission plans using Latitude/Longitude waypoints for taxi and flight routes used by various aircraft types, which become the only routes the aircraft can fly. A Mission Planner builds these routes using the Joint Mission Planning System (JMPS) in order to achieve detailed test plan objectives.
- Use survey data information including Digital Aeronautical Flight Information File (DAFIF) if available to determine coordinate locations.
- Complies with Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and local airspace restrictions for all routes of flight including avoiding over flight of populated areas and no testing zones as deemed by applicable safety documentation.
- Develop routes of flight that avoid impacting population and causing property damage on all test routes, especially emergency scenarios.
- To safely program approaches, construct approach slopes descending in altitudes for all approach routes on the let down to landing. Working with test pilots to take account for any emergency scenarios and flight critical degradations.
- Coordinate the development of routes that meet developmental test, and acceptance test points.
- Coordinate with appropriate agencies and teams to ensure that missions meet safety and test requirements.
• 5 years experience in mission planning or flight test operations with Bachelors degree; 3 Years with Masters; 0 Years with PhD.
• Top Secret Clearance Required to start
• Ability to obtain Special Program Access required
• Bachelors STEM degree
• Experience using Joint Mission Planning System (JMPS), Falcon view, etc.
• Former military and/or Navigator experience.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
A’Darien J.Enterprise Communications Professional
A’Darien oversees executive and organizational communications within the company in order to ensure all Northrop Grumman employees are kept in the know and are aware of the company’s values.
Back to top