Principal Engineer Systems
Performs technical planning, system integration, verification and validation, cost and risk, and supportability and effectiveness analyses for total systems. Analyses are performed at all levels of total system product to include: concept, design, fabrication, test, installation, operation, maintenance and disposal. Ensures the logical and systematic conversion of customer or product requirements into total systems solutions that acknowledge technical, schedule, and cost constraints. Performs functional analysis, timeline analysis, detail trade studies, requirements allocation and interface definition studies to translate customer requirements into hardware and software specifications.
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Create and manage system requirements, specifications and the requirements verification data base. Negotiate requirements with the customer. Plan the verification program. Develop CONOPS. Perform System Analysis. Implement changes to system and subsystem architecture models and run existing models and simulations to assess system performance.
1. Creates system requirements and manages requirement changes in the Requirements Management databases under self-direction using established guidelines for a large project.
2. Manages original and revised specification/interface definition documents for a large project.
3. Creates, and manages and approves the requirements verification methods and database provided to the customer, to ensure, as the system design/build matures, that it satisfies each system requirement.
4. Creates and modifies project level management tracking reports.
5. Directs and supports proposal-writing efforts or authors sections/volumes for Systems Engineering for a project.
6. Provides data to and manages risk management (identifies potential risks and develops mitigation strategies) and trade study processes for a significant portion of a project.
7. Creates and manages changes to Functional/Logical/Physical Model of System Architecture descriptions under self-direction using established guidelines.
8. Creates and manages System Representations under self-direction using established guidelines.
9. Technical Resource Budgets and Configuration Control Board participation.
10. Provide program management office and mission planning/operations support.
11. Leads a team for system design, analyses, interface verification, testing, and major failure/anomaly resolution or mission operations.
12. Leads the creation of and manages changes to system or subsystem analytical models under self-direction using established guidelines.
13. Leads development of system and subsystem architectures(s), system physical views - system elements (blocks) and critical interfaces (internal and external).
14. Leads and directs the testing and/or evaluation/validation of complete system and subsystem analytical models or actual system implementation.
15. Directs and Runs existing system or subsystem analytical models and simulations to collect data under self-direction using established guidelines.
16. Leads, prepares and presents system engineering materials during System Requirement Review, System Functional Review, Preliminary Design Review, Critical Design Review and System Verification Review and other formal program reviews.
17. Leads and prepares trade studies, system sensitivity studies, design optimization studies, system performance assessments, system design assessments, Operations Analysis work such as mission analysis and timelines and CONOPS development.
18. Provides IPT leadership and primary interface to customer for System Engineering Activities.
19. Performs and manages cost estimates and project planning for a significant portion of larger project.
Acts as CAM and performs EVMS tracking for a significant portion of a large project.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top