Principal Engineer Systems
- Mesa, AZ
Northrop Grumman solves the toughest problems in space, aeronautics, defense and cyberspace to meet the ever evolving needs of our customers worldwide. Our 85,000 employees are Defining Possible every day using science, technology and engineering to create and deliver advanced systems, products and services. We are committed to advancing global security and human discovery in support of our customers' missions around the world. We do so by providing leading technology and national security solutions and services to markets around the world. Northrop Grumman's Armament Systems Division based in Mesa, Arizona produces automatic medium caliber gun systems. Northrop Grumman gun systems built for the U.S. and international militaries have been used in all major conflicts since World War II in a variety of applications to include small and large ground vehicles, helicopters, airplanes and naval ships.
This Project Engineering position is for an engineering leadership role on medium caliber gun system programs within the Armament Systems Division. As part of the Systems Engineering group, the Project Engineer coordinates planning, organization, implementation, integration and completion of assigned engineering projects. This position is located in Mesa, Arizona.
The Project Engineering position carries the following set of primary responsibilities:
• Accountable to the Systems Engineering Manager and Program Managers for meeting technical performance measures, cost targets, and schedule requirements on assigned engineering projects.
• Provides technical oversight and project leadership to the assigned integrated program team; sets engineering work direction for other engineers, technicians, and administrative personnel and assigns tasks based on project objectives.
• Performs planning and execution of gun system development and testing projects, including voice of the customer techniques, requirements development and management, gun system definition, verification and validation, and risk management to design of gun systems.
• Ensures pertinent design factors such as contractual, environmental, cost, schedule, technical performance, system integration, producibility, interchangeability, and material requirements are considered during development and program execution.
• Leads failure investigations and associated corrective actions.
• Works with design, project, manufacturing and quality engineers through the development process and ensures timely flow of information among and between engineering team members.
• Coordinates with Aftermarket Services team to support fielded systems and ensures cross-functional coordination to deliver outstanding customer service.
• Supports Program Manager as a control account manager to ensure accurate schedule and cost tracking.
• Presents work products at program reviews, proposals, or other project meetings.
• Prepares and plans cost estimates and written technical proposals.
• Acts as a technical interface to external customers, and forms working relationships with representatives of external technical organizations.
• Develops technical relationships with vendors and suppliers, in coordination with subcontracts management and quality functions, to facilitate technical flow-down and understanding of requirements, testing, and process control.
• Supports manufacturing trade studies and early supplier involvement.
• Shares knowledge with other engineers.
• Supports and leads continuous improvement initiatives within the overall engineering department.
• BS in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering.
• 4 years of directly related mechanical design experience in defense or aerospace industry.
• 2+ years project or program leadership.
• Demonstrated project management skills and techniques including work breakdown structures, integrated master scheduling and earned value management.
• Experience in product development projects and sustainment of legacy programs for complex aerospace or defense systems.
• Mechanical design experience with complex gear trains, cams, springs, clutches, machined components, welded structures, electric motors and solenoids preferred.
• Familiarity with mechanical and electrical engineering processes and other specialty engineering activities within the product development process.
• Experience writing statements of work and estimating project scope.
• Demonstrated effectiveness in achieving results through understanding and management of internal processes and customer/supplier relationships.
• Knowledge of operations of upstream process inputs (Lead System Integrators, Business Development, Contracts, Pricing, Program Management, Project Engineering, and Systems Engineering).
• Knowledge of operations of downstream process customers (both internal and external: Modeling & Simulation, Configuration Management, Manufacturing Engineering, Manufacturing Operations, Assembly, Test, System Verification & Validation, Integrated Logistics Support, and End User).
• Skilled in working with Microsoft Office applications.
• Understanding of Six Sigma disciplines, design for assembly / design for manufacturing (DFA/DFM).
• Strong oral and written communication skills with ability to focus on multiple projects and deliver status on risk areas and required actions.
• Demonstrated strength in technical writing.
• Knowledge of requirements decomposition, FMEAs, verification and validation, and risk analysis.
• Experience in performing failure analysis and driving implementation of robust corrective action
• Ability to scope and generate product test plans, lead tests as Test Engineer and generate comprehensive test reports for internal and external customer distribution.
• Demonstrated experience working with customers to ensure project success.
• Familiarity with computer aided design (CAD) software, preferably NX, and engineering requirements and analysis tools (FEA).
• Understanding of GD&T
• U.S. Citizen and be able to obtain a DoD Secret Clearance
• Position may require domestic and international travel,
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top