Principal Engineer Structural
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
We are currently seeking an experienced Principal Structural Engineer to provide leadership to our 3250/Structural Loads and Dynamics Analysis team in our Promontory offices.
Role description & Responsibilities:
The Principal Structural Engineer is responsible for:
- Generation of structural loads for launch vehicles
- Generation of loads and environments (shock, vibration and acoustics) for use by system/component designers and analysts
- Develop dynamic structural models for system/component assessment
- Develop shock and vibration structural environments
- Support testing of components to structural environments (vibration, shock)
- Analyze sub-scale, static-test and flight data to assess loads and environments and verify dynamic models
- Prepare reports and memos documenting analysis activities and results
- Prepare presentations summarizing analysis results for internal review boards and external customers
- Interact with design and development teams (teams include specialists in Design, Quality, Safety, Structural, Thermal, Fluid, Materials, Test, Operations) to certify creative design solutions that meet all requirements (technical, cost, schedule)
- Development of propulsion element structural loads
- Development of propulsion element dynamic structural environments (shock, random vibe, sine vibe, acoustic)
- Support testing efforts of functional components to dynamic environments
- Provide analysis of data to ensure qualification of hardware
Candidate must have a minimum of 3 years developing structural loads and/or structural dynamics environments including experience in some of the following areas:
- Creating dynamic FEA models
- Estimating structural dynamic response (shock, vibration and acoustics)
- Testing hardware for vibration and/or shock environments
- Performing modal surveys
- Analyzing acceleration data (time-series analyses)
- Travel expectation of 10%
Skills & Qualifications:
- Computer skills would require MATLAB, NX, and NASTRAN
- Strong skills in data processing
- Knowledge of coupled loads development (vehicle requirements and design cycles)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Detail oriented but able to understand the big picture.
- An MS or PhD in Structural, Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering required with an emphasis in at least one of the following areas: loads analysis, dynamics (shock, vibration and/or acoustics) analysis, structural modeling, and time-series data analysis techniques.
- Running coupled loads analysis
- Generating program requirements
- Project Engineering skills
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top