Principal Engineer Quality - Space Components
- San Diego, CA
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon.
We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Tactical Space Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include satellites and associated space components and services; launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; and advanced aerospace structures.
The Space Components Business Unit is seeking a Principal Quality Engineer tojoin our team. This position could be located in San Diego, CA and will be on 1st shift.
A Quality Engineer supports the design, manufacture and test of advanced composite structures for space and aerospace applications including satellite optical benches, telescopes, bus structures, solar array substrates, reflector antennas, missiles and radomes. These products serve a diverse set of customers throughout the military, civil and commercial sectors. The Quality Engineer would support multiple contracts in a fast-paced environment certified to both AS9100 and NADCAP.
- Develop and execute Quality Plans in support of multiple programs that ensures technical and contractual requirements are achieved throughout engineering, procurement, manufacturing and test phases of each program. Coordinate in-process and final inspection activities in accordance with Quality Plans, including key/mandatory inspection points with external customers.
- Engage directly with cross-functional teams and facilitate collaboration between engineering, operations and program management. Provide technical expertise to find real-time solutions to internal constraints and manage/mitigate risks to external customer needs. Prepare and present quality portions of preliminary/critical design reviews, manufacturing/test readiness reviews to external customers
- Review and approve Manufacturing Work Instructions and Procurement Requisitions to ensure that all requirements are accounted for and thoroughly/clearly defined for manufacturing and suppliers.
- Ownership of assigned program non-conformance processing, including disciplined root cause investigations, corrective action implementation and rigorous follow-up to verify effectiveness. Act as direct liaison between NG and external customers on all program quality issues.
- Ownership of preparation and delivery of end item data packages for all hardware shipments, ensuring accurate reports for as-designed/as-built configurations, full material traceability, and work-in-process testing
- Perform internal quality audits of assigned program technical requirements to ensure proper interpretation and implementation.
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement, inclusive teamwork and disciplined root cause problem solving
- Bachelor's degree or above required; engineering or quality disciplines preferred
- 5+ years of relevant work experience required
- US citizenship required
- Expertise in reading and interpreting engineering drawings per ASME Y14.5
- Knowledge and application of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing principles
- Experience working within Quality Management Systems including AS9100 and NADCAP
- Experience working directly with external customers and suppliers to communicate requirements and resolve technical issues
- Strong communication, interpersonal, organizational and decision making skills
- Expertise in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Preferred candidates would have knowledge of advanced composites engineering and manufacturing processes
- Preferred candidates would have training and successful application of lean principles
- Preferred candidates would be proficient in ERP and MES systems
- Knowledge of mechanical and non-destructive inspection techniques and tools
Back to top