Principal Engineer Mechanical
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
- Expertise in material selection for specific aerospace applications.
- Composite structure design experience.
- Experience in thermal analysis of composite structures
- Experience in thermal protection system design and application
- Material process experience including but not limited to: machining, welding, heat treat, annealing, additive manufacturing, etc
- Experience in structural qualification tests
- Knowledge of principles of mechanical and structural design of rocket vehicles and ability to develop associated design documentation
- Broad understanding of composite manufacturing methods, including but not limited to: tool function, part development, layup techniques, bagging techniques, molding techniques, vacuum systems, oven curing, trimming/drilling and inspection methods.
- Hands-on experience with composite part and bonded assembly fabrication preferred
- Must excel at computer aided modeling and drafting as well as finite element analysis. SolidWorks and NASTRAN experience is preferred.
- Must have excellent communication and problem-solving skills
The candidate will support the company's objectives concerning composite product design and manufacturing requirements
Design & Analysis Engineer:
- Responsible for understanding requirements, composite/metallic part design and analysis for structural integrity.
- Design of tooling, fixtures, and jigs for composite structure manufacturing
- Utilize innovation and creativity to solve complex issues related to requirements and manufacturing methods
- Present design and analysis results at design reviews
- Select tools and equipment necessary for composite manufacturing
- Lead and instruct technicians and operators through the manufacturing and qualification process
- Responsible for hardware tracking and design for solid rocket motors and flight termination systems
- Assign vehicle system assets to flight missions, configuration control of the systems, collection and stock and purchase components and oversight of systems during and after the missions
- Ability to work with shop and technician staff for assembly of vehicle systems hardware sets
- Ability to organize and track vehicle systems assets and resolve scheduling challenges
- Ability to use general software applications to maintain records on vehicle systems items and to write requirements and reports
- Ability to generate procedures for handling of solid rocket motors, rocket motor hardware, and qualification test plans and reports
- Perform other related duties as assigned or required
Training or certification in the following may be required:
- Electrostatic Discharge ESD Control
- General Safety Awareness
- Hazardous Materials Handlers (see Safety and Health Plan)
- High Pressure Operations
- Ordnance / Pyrotechnics Certification
Education & Experience:
- Generally a Bachelor's Degree (BA/BS) in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering required and a minimum of 2 years of related experience is required.
Back to top