Principal Engineer Mechanical
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Perform analysis, design, or test of one or more moderately complex or portions of complex materials, structural components, and functional systems of company products. Generally work from preliminary studies developed by higher graded engineers. Analyze requirements for materials, structural component, or functional systems. Select applicable analytical data from previous products, determine the technical principles involved, mathematically define the problem and compute the engineering characteristics consistent with the specifications, design needs and requirements of other portions of the product. Release results as design data after review by higher graded engineer. Develop original ideas and elaborate on preliminary design concepts. Evaluate completed design with supervisor and other technical groups and make modification necessary to achieve the most ideal design. Develop and coordinate the conduct of test programs requires to evaluate design work.
- With no guidance, performs analysis, design, or test of one or more complex materials, structural components or functional systems. Conduct trade studies and evaluate alternative designs.
- Based on broadly defined problems, studies basic design concepts and criteria for complex materials, components, or functional systems and applies the engineering principles involved to develop new designs.
- Anticipates customer needs and finds innovative ways to provide for those needs.
- Originates and develops constructive ideas. Consistently looks for ways to modify or change existing methods or processes to improve outcomes.
- Perform highly complex engineering design, development, analysis, and test activities to support assigned projects.
- Determine engineering tasks required for project planning and execution; Analyze project requirements and develop detailed planning, conceptual designs, and risk analysis.
- Assume CAM responsibilities.
- Interact with internal and external customers; Assist the customer in defining system requirements and in the generation of specifications for products or sub systems.
- Provide technical guidance and direction to engineering team in the design, test, production and maintenance phases of a project.
- Develop and present materials for project related briefings including design reviews to be given to internal and external customers.
- Support new business and prepare proposal material.
- Requires BS in Engineering & 7 years or Masters in Engineering & 5 years or PhD & 2 years.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top