Principal Engineer Mechanical
- Dulles, VA
Northrop Grumman's Dulles Satellite Manufacturing Facility integrates, tests, and launches state-of-the-art geosynchronous satellites, low-Earth-orbit science and technology spacecraft, International Space Station vehicles, and a host of other orbit technologies.
- No design work; manufacturing production environment where Engineers coordinate system-level builds and empower touch-labor Technicians. Daily interfacing with Program managers, Functional supervisors, and other disciplines like Elec/RF/QA is required, so good communication skills under occasionally stressful situations is essential.
- Occasional Hands-on work around extremely fragile space product installations and modifications. After proving reliability over time, more hands-on work becomes available
Second/third shift 24/7, weekend work, and occasional 4+ weeks travel on launch campaigns (international travel) are required of everyone. Occasional short-term projects with travel required. A rotating off-shift coverage allows Engineers to plan ahead up to 3 months, but last minute requests are common to support the dynamic schedules seen in I&T.
• A Bachelor's degree in a STEM discipline with a minimum of 5 years of experience.
• Ability to demonstrate general technical knowledge in manufacturing including interpreting complex engineering drawings, schematics, and diagrams.
• 100% adherence to established ISO processes, diligence to detail, and efficient execution with quality results for cost effectiveness absolutely required
• Ability to learn quickly. Bonding, taping, torquing, etc. with delicate honeycomb composite/aluminum panels and aluminum brackets a minimum. Must have "a touch" for delicate equipment.
• Ability to identify issues, escalate to appropriate channels, and implement solutions after engineering review to routine process problems of limited scope.
• Ability to work with diverse team, take constructive feedback from QA support personnel, and understudy with assigned mentor for up to 6 months is required
• Knowledge of basic Excel, Word, Powerpoint, general computer handling, and Tool Control required. ESD, FOD, and 5S management techniques also helpful.
• Knowledge of advanced machine shop principles helpful. Little to no machine shop work is done by I&T Techs, but interfacing with Machine Dept. required on occasion.
• Security Clearance not required, but ability to initiate clearance process strongly* preferred
• Experience with working inside Clean Rooms, Hazardous Material Handling, Hazardous Operations protocols, and related operational protocols strongly recommended.
Back to top