Principal Engineer Manufacturing
- Palmdale, CA
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Aeronautics Systems sector is seeking a Manufacturing Engineer to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in Palmdale, CA Center of Excellence where technology and teamwork come together. The qualified applicant will become part of Northrop Grumman's Manufacturing Engineering Team working in a collaborative environment while promoting a positive and proactive teamwork environment.
Manufacturing Engineering job duties involve the following: provide guidance to Engineering regarding design concepts to ensure the best manufacturing technique is being used to meet the Engineering design, participate in tool design reviews to ensure tools are feasible and reduce build times and program costs during assembly, define sequence of operations for product builds, investigate and initiate corrective actions and improvements that involve non-conforming product and identify improvement opportunities in areas that require producibility and affordability initiatives. Provide liaison support for Engineering definition to influence low production costs for integrated assembly related to electrical, hydraulics, fuels, fluids and propulsion systems
Manufacturing Engineers for Aeronautics Systems are expected to provide technical solutions to a wide range of complex and difficult problems. They are problem solvers who have the ability to provide results that are innovative, thorough, practical, and consistent with organization objectives. We seek Manufacturing Engineers that use a unique skill set that includes a hands-on approach and act as the technical representative voice for the Manufacturing organization.
Manufacturing Engineering Designs manufacturing processes, procedures and production layouts for assemblies, equipment installation, processing, machining and material handling. Designs arrangement of machines within plant facilities to ensure most efficient and productive layout. Designs sequence of operations and specifies procedures for the fabrication of tools and equipment and other functions that affect product performance. Adapts machine or equipment design to factory and production conditions. May incorporate inspection and test requirements into the production plan. Inspects performance of machinery, equipment, and tools to verify their efficiency, and investigates and initiates corrective action of problems and deficiencies to ensure product quality. Develops manufacturing processes that are applicable to statistical process control, and may develop those techniques. Provides guidance to engineering regarding design concepts and specification requirements to best utilize equipment and manufacturing techniques. Ensures processes and procedures are in compliance with regulations.
- Bachelor's Degree in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) with 5 years of experience OR Master's Degree in STEM with 3 years of experience OR PhD STEM with 0 years of experience in production assembly/fabrication including composites, metallic, coatings application, and/or production manufacturing operations; OR
- Bachelor's Degree (non-STEM) with 7 years of experience OR Master's Degree (non-STEM) with 5 years of experience in OR PhD (non-STEM) with 2 years of experience in production assembly/fabrication including composites, metallic, coatings application, and/or production manufacturing operations; OR
- Associates Degree or High School Diploma/GED with 13 years of work Experience in production assembly/fabrication including composites, metallic, coatings application, and/or production manufacturing operations.
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a DOD Secret or Top Secret Clearance as well as Program Special access within a reasonable period of time, as determined by the company to meet its business needs.
- Experience reviewing and interpreting Blueprints and 3-D models
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems
- Ability to interface/communicate with multiple levels of leadership, clients, and vendors
- Ability to work 1st shift "5am-3:30pm" or 2nd shift "4:12pm-2:42am" and any work schedule (times may vary)
- STEM Degree (Science, Technical, Engineering or Mathematical)
- Experience working hands-on in a production assembly line environment
- Experience providing innovative techniques focused on improving product designs and tooling assemblies or equipment
- Composite experience and process knowledge
- Secret or Top Secret clearance preferred
Back to top