Principal Engineer Facilities (Power)
At Northrop Grumman we develop cutting-edge technology that preserves freedom and advances human discovery. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We continue to innovate with developments from launching the first commercial flight to space, to discovering the early beginnings of the universe. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems is seeking a Principal Electrical Engineer (Power Systems) to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in Redondo Beach, CA.
In this role, the selected candidate will:
• Gather a full understanding of the electrical distribution infrastructure systems throughout the South Bay facilities and become the "in-house expert" for low, medium, and high voltage power distribution equipment.
• Perform periodic reviews of the electrical systems throughout the South Bay facilities and identify areas of reliability concerns.
• Inspects or directs the inspection of construction and installation progress throughout the project lifespan to ensure conformance to established drawings, specifications, and schedules.
• Coordinates with Facilities Project Leaders and architecture/engineering firms in developing/reviewing design criteria and/or layout and detail drawings.
• Reviews data concerning facility or equipment specifications, company or government restrictions, required completion date, and construction feasibility.
• Lead the root cause/fault mode analysis of electrical infrastructure equipment failures throughout the campus and provide documentation of those findings.
• Participate in risk analysis of infrastructure equipment and provide solutions to mitigate those risks.
• Review short circuit, coordination, and arc flash analysis reports provided by third-party consultants.
• Interface with the Facilities Maintenance department personnel as required to identify potential maintenance engineering issues (on existing equipment and new construction) and to mitigate risks.
• Analyze dig-alerts and impacts to Northrop Grumman facilities infrastructure.
• Support the Facilities Reliability and Infrastructure Optimization department as required.
• Minimum of a bachelor's degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math (STEM) field and five (5) years of electrical engineering experience OR a master's degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math (STEM) field and three (3) years of electrical engineering experience.• Experience working in a mission critical facility environment by participating in design, construction, commissioning, or miscellaneous supporting activities for electrical systems (low, medium, and/or high voltage applications).
• Proven ability to work under only general direction and independently determine and develop approaches to solutions. Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives.
• Experience communicating requirements and working with internal and external customers to coordinate difficult technical issues associated with specific projects.
• Ability to obtain and maintain a DOD Top Secret clearance
• Proficient in Microsoft Office.
• Current top secret clearance.
• Aerospace industry facilities management experience.
• Licensed Professional Engineer or current engineer-in-training (EIT) certificate.
• Experience working with building management system (BMS) and related controls.
• Familiarity working with complex facilities infrastructure feeding clean rooms/labs, offices, and manufacturing spaces.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top