Principal Engineer Electrical
- Greenbelt, MD
Designs, develops, modifies and evaluates digital electronic parts, components or integrated circuitry for digital electronic equipment and other hardware systems. Determines design approaches and parameters. Analyzes equipment to establish operating data, conducts experimental tests, and evaluates results. Selects components and equipment based on analysis of specifications and reliability. May also review vendor capability to support product development.
Candidate with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering, plus 5 years' experience as a FPGA design engineer concentrating on the development, performance modeling, end-to-end simulation and implementation of digital data acquisition and control circuits for flight and electrical ground support electronics (EGSE). Will work on a variety of platforms including Microsemi (Actel) and Xilinx FPGAs, and high performance computing systems. Candidate must have experience with VHDL coding, microprocessors, analog to digital converters, analog multiplexers and digital subsystems.
Candidate will work in the Northrop Grumman's Space Technical Services Busness Unit at Beltsville, Md supporting various flight and ground systems programs. Candidates may be required to work on-site at Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) in Greenbelt, Md.
- Minimum of five years' experience with strong microprocessor/FPGA design (Verilog/VHDL code) skills needed to implement and lead complex designs for flight and EGSE hardware programs.
- Working knowledge of analog electronics design.
- Ability to implement mechanism control and sensing electronics designs for flight and EGSE hardware.
- Ability to design mechanism control/drive systems and sensing electronics utilizing stepper/brushless motors and Inductosyn/LVDT/Element Wheel sensing devices.
- Proficient at MathWorks/MATLAB or other equivalent software tools.
- Proficient with Test Equipment required for control electronics characterization.
- Ability to verify control system designs and performance using simulation software such as PSpice, MathWorks/MATLAB or other equivalent software tools.
- Ability to implement algorithms written in "C" and/or "C++" languages into embedded microprocessor systems.
- Support/participate design reviews (PDR, CDR, PER, etc.), as a project, subsystem, and experimenter representative.
- Must be familiar with Windows and Microsoft Office, especially Excel.
- Excellent written, verbal communication and customer interface skills is required.
- Must be a team player able to work closely with support personnel during the design and verification process.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Experience with NASA specifications for the development of electromechanical hardware is a plus but not required.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top