Principal Electrical Engineer - HW-RTL Design
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nations history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking aPrincipal ElectricalEngineer to provide talent to our Defense Electronics Systems (DES) group in Northridge, CA.
Perform analysis, design, or test of one or more complex designs, which require use of ingenuity and creativity and without detailed direction from more senior engineers. Based on generally defined problems, study design concepts and criteria to ascertain the engineering principles involved. Without detailed direction, plan, prepare, and complete the design. Evaluate completed design with more senior engineers and other technical groups and make modifications necessary to achieve a design that satisfies requirements. Develop, coordinate, and conduct the test programs required to evaluate the design.
May also oversee component supplier design, analysis, manufacture, and test. May also oversee, with senior engineer support, subsystem supplier design, analysis, manufacture, and test.
Role description & Responsibilities:
The Principal Electrical Engineer HW-RTL Design supports the tactical missile system development and production programs.
Key responsibilities include:
- Developing RTL designs in VHDL using state of the art Xilinx and Intel/Altera SoC FPGAs development toolsets.
- Developing circuit cards using Intel/Altera FPGAs, high speed serial interfaces, analog and power circuits.
- Familiarity with design security features in Xilinx and Altera FPGA are an added plus as are any experience in anti-tamper and cybersecurity implementations.
- Developing circuit card designs using the Mentor Graphics EDA toolset for design and simulation of circuits.
- Performing signal integrity analysis using Mentor Graphics HyperLynx toolset.
- Overseeing and participating in hardware test and integration in a laboratory environment using a variety of test equipment including oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, and DMMs.
- Using oral and verbal presentation skills to effectively communicate at a detailed technical level, as well as distilling advanced concepts into fundamental principles for teammates and customers.
- Working and performing in a multi-disciplinary research and development environment.
- Evaluating engineering design concepts.
- Creating test plans and procedures for a variety of circuit cards, including environmental testing.
- Developing specifications and requirements, reviewing Engineering Change Proposals, and generating formal whitepapers and failure reports.
- Supporting program Engineering Configuration Change Board (CCB), Corrective Action Board (CAB) and Failure Review Board (FRB) meetings as required.
- Identifying opportunities for improvement based on review of failure data and supporting development and implementation of component design improvements and updates.
- Supporting design reviews and test activities as needed.
- Supporting subcontractor assessment, selection and coordination activities with respect to analog and digital design needs.
Experience and Skill Requirements:
- Must have a BS and 7+ years of experience, or MS and 5+ years of experience in RTL/FPGA designs including evaluation of engineering design concepts.
- Must hold an active DoD Secret Clearance.
- Must be familiar with and proficient using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, Visio)
- Must have the ability to follow company processes and procedures
- Must have the ability to use and collect test data using digital storage oscilloscopes, digital multimeters, logic analyzers, in-circuit emulators, RF network analyzers, spectrum analyzers, and arbitrary waveform generators.
- Must be able to read and interpret military requirements, specifications, and engineering drawings/schematics.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and an ability to build effective working relationships with customers, coworkers, and vendors.
- Must be able to effectively communicate findings to customers and management.
- Must be a self-starter capable of performing assigned tasks with minimal direction.
- Must be an innovative thinker with a demonstrated ability for solving complex problems that may require ingenuity and out of the box ideas.
- Must be able to work in an inter-disciplinary functional team.
- Must be able to study and understand complex electronics/mechanical systems
- Must be meticulous with documentation.
- Must understand and be able to show traceability to requirements and technical references.
- Must be able to create or review presentations, emails, white papers, trade studies, and reports for content and accuracy.
- Must be able to sustain products through end-of-life, including obsolescence management.
- Knowledge of programming languages including C/C++ or scripting languages such as TCL/TK or Python is strongly desired.
- Knowledge of MATLAB is strongly desired.
- Experience in anti-tamper and cybersecurity implementations also a plus.
Back to top