Principal Database Engineer
Are you interested in expanding your career through experience and exposure, all while supporting a mission that seeks to ensure the security of our nation and its allies? If so, then Northrop Grumman is the place for you. As a leading global security company, we provide innovative systems, products and solutions to our customers worldwide. We are comprised of diverse professionals that bring different perspectives and ideas, understanding that the more experiences we bring to our work the more innovative we can be. As we continue to build our workforce we look for people that exemplify our core values, leadership characteristics, and approach to innovation.
Northrop Grumman Technology Services sector is seeking aPrincipal Database Engineer to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in McLean, VA. The qualified applicant will become part of Northrop Grumman's Department of State (DOS) Consular Systems Modernization (CSM) Program, for the Bureau of Consular Affairs (CA). This initiative is intended to modernize and consolidate the operational environment under a common technology framework in order to better support the services provided to CA's customers.
As part of the modernization program, the Principal Database Engineer will be responsible for the design, development, installation, and maintenance of database management systems to include data definition, data modeling, design and implementation, security, and monitoring.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work with the system engineering team to understand customer business needs and priorities
- Define system and technical requirements, including both functional and non-functional, to support database management system development within the SAFe Agile methodology
- Develop conceptual, logical, and physical designs for database solutions
- Develop and maintain database solutions for managing structured and unstructured data
- Develop and maintain database solutions for data ingestion (batch and streaming)
- Develop and maintain database scripts supporting ETL processes and functions
- Monitor and tune database solutions for optimal performance
- Develop and maintain secure database solutions that are compliant with DISA STIG and NIST specifications (security controls)
- Develop automated tests that can be incorporated into CI/CD pipeline
- Support CI/CD initiatives and utilize static code analyzers to ensure high quality source code
- Author clear documentation for database solutions, including data dictionaries, data catalogs, and design artifacts
- Integrate database solutions with the software applications and/or platforms
- Support software testing activities, including IV&V, and provide timely software defect resolutions
- Monitor production and non-production database solutions for performance and troubleshoot issues as required
- Provide production and operational support, as needed, to ensure deployed database solutions meet functional and non-functional requirements
- Develop and maintain backup/restore solutions to support production and non-production database solutions
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Bachelor's degree in STEM and at least5 years' experience
- Experience in software development and maintenance projects with involvement in requirements management, technical design/development, and deployment steps within SDLC
- Experience supporting database engineering activities for software projects specializing in development of enterprise web applications within a SAFe Agile environment
- Experience designing database solutions using conceptual, logical, and physical diagrams.
- Experience with developing database solutions involving storage of structured and unstructured data, data ingestion via batch and streaming, and ETL processes
- Experience with developing relational database management systems (RDBMS) using Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, or Microsoft SQL Server)
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Must have a current, active Secret (or higher) clearance. An interim clearance is acceptable.
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Experience in enterprise software system modernization efforts
- Experience in cloud based environments including the development of database solutions that are based on a hybrid-cloud architecture
- Experience developing database solutions for high volume, highly available, and secure software systems
- Experience developing database solutions in a secure environment that are required to meet DISA STIG and NIST specifications (security controls)
- Experience developing database solutions in an incremental manner using the SAFe Agile methodology
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top