Principal Composites Materials and Process Engineer (Must have current and active secret clearance to be considered)
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Group in Clearfield, Utah is seeking an experienced Materials and Process Engineer.
Role will be responsible for:
Analyzes, researches, designs and develops materials and their related fabrication and application processes to develop and optimize materials for use in engineering design of and/or application in structures, systems and subsystems.
Applies principles of chemistry, physics, and material behavior to develop metallic, non-metallic and composite material and processing specifications, fabrication and assembly processes.
Develops, analyzes and applies material properties and design allowables, processing processes and quality engineering specifications.
Material analyses may include failure analysis of components, systems and subsystems, life predictions, and definition and requirement specifications.
May review and approve subcontractor material processing procedures.
- Active Secret DoD Clearance within 5 ½ years of last investigation
- This position may be filled at a Level 3 or Level 4
- Level 3 minimum requirements - Bachelor's Degree in Aerospace, Mechanical, Manufacturing, Chemical Engineering or related and 5 years minimum of applicable experience
- Level4 minimum requirements - Bachelor's Degree in Aerospace, Mechanical, Manufacturing, Chemical Engineering or related and9 years minimum of applicable experience
- Material and Process Engineering experience in aerospace composite material systems
- Experience in composite materials testing methods and documentation, detailed testing procedures, failure modes, environmental effects, and bonded composite joints
- Experience supporting composite primary and secondary structures, metallic, vendor supplied material certifications, approved materials list, and support forensic activities as required
- Functional knowledge of root cause / corrective action processes and techniques
- Functional knowledge of production control systems (SAP/Visual Mfg/etc)
- Excellent computer skills. Skilled in working with Microsoft Office applications, Teamcenter, and NX10
- Strong problem solving skills - must be able to drive technical/program issues to closure in a timely manner with innovative and cost-efficient solutions
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Prior composite fabrication experience and planning shop processes including: material layup, cure, trim, NDI, bonding, and assembly
- Supporting administration of aerospace material qualification and material allowables specifically composites materials and bonded joinery
- Experience addressing manufacturing discrepancies through a formal MRB process
- Experience designing / supporting an aerospace manufacturing process with the necessary materials, tooling, and equipment
Back to top