Principal Composites Manufacturing Engineer - Space Components
- San Diego, CA
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon.
We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they are making history.
Northrop Grumman Space Systems Division designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
The Space Systems Group is seeking a Principal Composites Manufacturing Engineer to assist an experienced team of engineers to perform manufacturing and design engineering on one or more spacecraft systems or subsystems.
This position is located in San Diego, CA.
- Plans, directs, and coordinates manufacturing processes on factory (manufacturing) floor
- Develops, evaluates, and improves manufacturing methods, utilizing knowledge of spacecraft design, composite materials, composite fabrication and processes, tooling and production equipment capabilities, composite assembly methods, and quality control standards.
- Designs manufacturing workflow, layout of equipment and workspace for maximum efficiency.
- Authors detailed manufacturing work instructions that define the specific processes to manufacture hardware.
- Creates complete and accurate bill of materials (BOM) for manufactured hardware
- Communicates with design staff regarding product design and tooling to ensure efficient production methods.
- Creates purchase requests and partners with vendors to determine product specifications of equipment, materials, or parts, and evaluates products according to specifications and quality standards.
- Support proposal effort by estimating production times and related costs to provide information for management decisions.
- Effectively communicates with management, engineering, and other staff regarding manufacturing capabilities, and other considerations to facilitate and improve production processes.
- Applies statistical methods to estimate future manufacturing requirements and potential improvements.
Back to top