Principal Communications Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems has an opening for a Principal Optical Communications Engineer to join our team of highly skilled and motivated engineers at Northrop Grumman's Autonomous Design Center of Excellence located in San Diego, California.
You'll be joining the Electronics& Payloads(E&P) organization. The E&Porganization delivers innovative and effective ground and airborne mission subsystem and control solutions for our system operators' current and emerging missions, by utilizing industry leading processes and tools. E&P is responsible for many mission critical subsystems such as RF Communications, IP Networks, Radar, SIGINT, Electronic Warfare, EO/IR, Full Motion Video, Ground Moving Target Indicator, Weapons, Mission Management Computers, and Ground Control Systems.
- Perform integration of optical communication subsystems in a lab environment.
- Perform communication system analysis and system performance trade studies.
- Requirements management, system integration, test development/execution of various optical communications systems (link budgets, optical modem and telescope design, and signal characteristics).
- Document system requirements and interfaces (e.g., optical, electrical, mechanical and software), with traceability to platform requirements.
- Actively participate in design and program risks and opportunities.
- Perform review and analysis of supplier design data, definition of functional test requirements including acceptance, qualification, and system integration.
- Perform liaison duties to disseminate information to suppliers, customers, technology development partners, management and other Integrated Product Teams.
- Support Subcontract Management Team to oversee supplier technical performance.
- Bachelor's Degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics) discipline from an accredited university and 5 years of Engineering experience or 3 years with a Master's Degree or 0 years with PhD in a STEM related field.
- Practical working experience with optical communications systems.
- Must have a current active in-scope DoD Top Secret security clearance for this position.
- Master's Degree Engineering (Electrical/Computer Science, Mechanical or Aerospace) or related technical discipline (Physics, Optics/Optical Engineering, Mathematics) from an accredited university and 3 years of relevant experience is preferred.
- Experience with the integration and testing of optical communications systems or component sub-systems.
- Working knowledge of communication engineering theory and application.
- Experience providing innovative technical solution of complex communication problems.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate with inter-organizational and outside customer contacts.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top